The Big Bang Theory: Season Five
The Big Bang Theory
- * Accidental Innuendo: In-Universe. A running joke in the 100th episode involves Sheldon dropping these while playing Settlers of Catan.Sheldon: I want to build a road, but I need wood. Either of you fellas have wood? (Raj and Howard giggle) I don't understand the laughter. The object of Settlers of Catan is to build roads and settlements. To do so requires wood. Now, I have sheep, I need wood. Who has wood for my sheep? [..] Come on, I just want wood. Why are you making it so hard?(later) And now that I have some wood, I will begin the erection of my settlement.Raj: (aside, to Howard) Okay, he's got to be doing this on purpose.
- It's a very common joke for Settlers in real life as well.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Played with. Bernadette is understandably pissed when she finds out Raj has been writing love poems about her, yet she is still nice about it.Raj: Bernadette?Bernadette: WHAT?Raj: Do you think I have a shot with Penny?Bernadette: OF COURSE YOU DO. YOU'RE A CUTIE-PIE! ANY GIRL WOULD BE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU! (slams door)
- Crucified Hero Shot: Done by Sheldon in a game of paintball, a direct homage to Platoon.
- Daydream Surprise: The entirety of "The Recombination Hypothesis" was a daydream by Leonard trying to figure out his feelings for Penny and their future. The relationship fails, but he still decides to ask her out again in real life.
- Heel Realization: Bernadette surprised herself when she realized she was wrong to try to keep Howard from taking his chance at realizing his dream.
- Penny when she realized she was a bully in school and tried to apologize to the people she bullied.
- Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club: When he sees "Mobster Sauce" (presumably a typo of "lobster") on a restaurant's menu, Sheldon suspects that the restaurant could be a front for The Mafia and the sauce might actually have chunks of dead mobsters in it. Then he decides it's improbable since it's listed under seafood. Leonard jokes that it could be from mobsters who "slept with the fishes".
Howard: Sure, no mobsters there.
- Lampshaded in short order as Sheldon suggest they go to their pizza restaurant: Corleone's.
- Long List: The list of things that were stolen from Sheldon and Leonard's apartment, most of which were video games.
- Mildly Military: Sheldon gives himself the Paintball rank of Captain, citing Kirk, Crunch and Kangaroo as examples. He sews Army Captain's bars to his uniform, but the three he references are Navy/Coast Guard Captains, the equivalent of Army Colonels.
- Mutual Disadvantage: To decide who gets Prof. Rothman's office, Sheldon and Barry play a one-on-one game of basketball, under the notion that they are equally bad at sports, putting them on an even field. It works too well, in fact, as neither manages to score once after 45 minutes.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Sheldon refers to the rest of the group as his "three friends and one treasured acquaintance", who turns out to be Howard.
- Paintball Episode: After Sheldon's Death Seeker action in being a horrible leader, he ended up inspiring the guys to take back the game and the won the inter-department paintball game for the first time.
- Relationship Upgrade: It was a real shock when Sheldon asked Amy to make their relationship official.
- Unwanted Gift Plot: Amy gives Penny a tacky painting of the two of them, insisting that it be displayed prominently in her living room. It is supposed to be hung on the fourth wall, which is why it hasn't been seen since.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Penny was not pleased when Leonard asked that in bed.