Tearjerker: The Mountain Goats
- "Song for My Stepfather:"
He feels no pain at allYou erase meYou erase me
I'd be grateful my children aren't here to see thisHad you ever seen fit to give me children.
- "No Children:"
I am drowningThere is no sight of landYou are going down with meHand in unlovable hand
I hope you dieI hope we both die
- And its chorus:
- The fact that the song was used in an episode of Moral Orel should speak wonders alone.
- For anyone who has ever had a dream that didn't fit their community, "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton" can be pretty poignant, especially the following lines:
This was how Cyrus got sent to the schoolWhere they told him he'd never be famous
- Pretty much the entirety of The Sunset Tree, an album detailing John's relationship with his stepfather.
I'm awake and I'm guarding my faceHoping you don't break my stereoBecause it's the one thing that I couldn't live without
- One of the most painful songs would have to be "Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod?"
- "The Mess Inside" in its entirety will hit anyone close to home who's gone through a mutual fading of affection at the end of a relationship.
Found that bench we sat together on a thousand years agoWhen I felt such love for you I thought my heart was gonna pop.I wanted you to love me like you used to do.
- "Harlem Roulette" is about the last days of Frankie Lymon's life - he was a child star who got drafted, and by the time he got back, his voice had changed. He recorded a couple more songs, which gave him enough money to by more heroine, which he overdosed on. This line is particularly heartbreaking:
Armies masking in the dusky distanceGhosted ribbon in the microphoneLeave a little mark on something, maybeTake the secret circuit home
- "Omega Blaster", about the wife of the Alpha Couple leaving the husband.
This song is for the soilThat's toxic clear down to the bedrockWhere no thing of consequence can growDrop your seeds there, let them goLet them all go...
- "Weekend in Western Illinois" is just so passionate. Yeah, we love these dogs...