This page is for examples specific to the first film and any tie in Shrek
media without its own page. Keep examples for the other films on their designated pages.
From the first film:
- Shrek explaining to Donkey why he is the way he is:
Shrek: It's the world that has a problem with me! People take one look at me and say, "Ahh! Help! Run! A big, stupid, ugly ogre..." *depressed* They judge me before they even know me...
- The Twist Ending of Shrek: "...I'm supposed to be beautiful..." "But you are beautiful."
- And don't forget the scene after Shrek and Fiona split up, and everything's going as planned, but both are completely miserable. What really pushes it into tearjerker territory is the heartbreaking "Hallelujah" playing in the background.
- The misunderstanding where Shrek overhears Fiona saying, "Who could ever love a beast so hideous and ugly?" is painfully hard to watch. Extra points for being depressing both from Fiona's side and Shrek's side of the conversation.
- "I live alone! Me! My swamp! Nobody else, understand? Especially useless, annoying, pathetic talking donkeys!" Just...that. During the whole line, he's obviously trying not to cry, and for once in his life he's let himself have a friend, let himself fall in love, and he thinks it can't be and is trying to shove Donkey out of his life. To make it worse, there's Donkey's clearly-hurt expression and
Donkey: But...I thought—
Shrek: Yeah, well you know what? You thought wrong!