Tearjerker: Girls' Generation
- The song Dear Mom considering what happened to Tiffany's mother. Tiffany's mother passed away before Tiffany debuted. Little is known about this, but it remains a tearjerker in every mention.
- Yoona's mother apparently deserted her when she was just a little baby.
- The first time Tiffany speaks about what really happened to her mother, or the reason why the word "mother" is banned in the dorm . Back then, when people ask her about her mother, she would only mention that they aren't close with each other.
- Sooyoung voicing her sadness about only getting to sing eight words◊ in "I Got A Boy". "Give me some parts.. Iíll sing well.. I only got 8 words to sing in this song.. I get my hair/makeup done at 5 in the morning just to sing 8 words." Especially sad when you realize that she's probably their best Japanese speaker, yet barely gets to sing at all in their Japanese releases. For example - she sings one word ("Doushite") in "You-Aholic".
- A lot of fans were annoyed that the "dance line" was barely used in their first Japanese album in general. Things seemed to get better in the video for "My oh My", where not only did Sooyoung get to sing a fairly substantial part (with only the vocal line singing more), there's a section in both the video and the song where only the "dance line" (Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Yuri and Yoona) are featured. Yoona and Hyoyeon sang a bit more then normal as well (which is to say, more then one line that they may or may not get to repeat later in the song). Unfortunately, that was pretty much the only song on their second Japanese album where Sooyoung sang a substantial amount (excepting "Galaxy Supernova"), and she received quite a bit of backlash for it from certain other Sones, who claimed she "stole" lines from the more popular members, insinuated she must have slept with someone to get those lines, oh, and "[S]he should just shut up because she can't sing". And with the release of the Mr. Mr. mini album... She's back down to getting about one line per song, if that.
- Hearing that certain members - Jessica, Sooyoung and Sunny - became very ill during one tour, and Sunny ended up having to go to the hospital to be injected with an IV drip.
- Apparently during the trip for a performance in their earlier days their car got into a minor accident in traffic and they had to RUN to the venue, missing their normal performance slot. If you watch the performance you can hear the exhaustion in their singing (and Sunny's microphone just not working right.) Couple that with a Crowning Moment of Awesome where they go on to win an award, their first Music Bank award ever, their reaction is nothing less then sincere and you want to just cry along with them.
- Yoona may seem like a very carefree and laid-back person, but she has her problems too, just like how her mother left her when she was a baby, being a member of the SM depression club, and being the "face" of the group which is both a blessing and a curse to her since this is one of the reasons why she has anti-fans.
- Excerpts of their wishes on the TV show "Beatles Code".
Hyoyeon: I don't want anything fancy, I'd just like a vacation. But a vacation which I'm told about beforehand so that I could at least buy my plane tickets cheaper. I would love to go on a family vacation. That's really all I ask for.Yuri: I would like to live an organized life. As of now, my lifestyle is very hectic. I want to be able to plan my weekends and have fun.Jessica: I want to be more free in terms of both mental and lifestyle. I want to find true happiness and would like to go on a vacation.Tiffany: I want SNSD to acheive even more success. It feels like we finished our tour only a few days ago but we were in the midst of working on our 3rd album, it felt like time went by way too fast. Sometimes I think to myself "What did I just do?" or "What am I doing right now?" And in order to acheive bigger success I think we need a little break. That kind of upsets me. If happiness is 100 points I only feel 10 because we're so tired. Of course I'm beyond thankful, but because of fatigue I say "But I'm so tired" and feel like I'm not properly being thankful.
- The girls' (and probably other SM artists, if not all K-Pop artists in general) schedule is always full, and judging from fan accounts, the members say that they only get about 1-2 hours of sleep every night when this happens. Some people, however, insist that this is fair treatment since SNSD gets paid with a large sum of money.
- The treatment of Hyoyeon as compared to the other members. She's called "Hyogre", "Hyoppa", "the ugly one", etc. Then you get photos like one◊ that say imply one has to be drunk to see her as attractive...
"I wanted to get a message out loud and clear ó you underestimate Hyoyeon and how much of an affect sheís had within the ever expanding, international fandom. You donít treat her as well as the other members, as a fandom/as a whole, and you donít respect her as well as the other members. It is obvious and it is SAD. You donít treat her as well. You just don't. Your philosophy of OT9, which we as an international fandom learned from YOU ALL and of which we now PREACH, is constantly jaded in my eyes but now I canít ignore that anymore. OT9 only means something to me if it is directly from SNSDís mouths but if a KSONE has something to say on it, I canít take it seriously anymore. Sones, you are all too much! [...] Itís a big deal because things like this KEEPS ON HAPPENING with her. I recently downloaded a large SNSD picture archive via Moonsoshi9 from a Chinese website. MASSIVE amounts of pics from many events expanding from the very late 2010 to late 2011 ó think of every official fan taken picture released, itís all there. And Iím scanning through these all, looking at the hard work and money that KSONE have spent, at the beautiful women who worked so hard for what they have now. But I keep on returning to the same feelings all Hyohunnies have ó the very few pictures that Hyo gets. I looked in a folder of around 80 pictures and there were only 2 pictures of her while the rest were equally represented. One of which is just her in the side. A bunch of pictures of which she is literally BLOCKED OUT by a BLACK BOX. [...] There is absolutely no EXCUSE."
- A quote from someone's post on an SNSD forum sums it up pretty well:
- The crap their antis put them through is awful. Calling them "sluts" and "whores" who are "talentless and plastic" (but hey, if a male idol gets plastic surgery, then he's "SO HOT!"). Antis have been known to purposefully mistranslate things and make up outright lies (one notable example being when someone claimed Sooyoung and Sunny were rude and aggressive in an airport - which was proven to have been a complete and utter lie - the accuser wound up changing her story multiple times, and finally deleted her blog). Hell, one anti even wished Sooyoung had died or been paralyzed after her car accident!
- It's worth noting a lot of antis are fangirls of male groups who become furious when a female idol so much as looks at their "oppar".
- There was an incident on an "SNSD Confession" blog where an anti pretended to be a Sooyoungster and wrote several posts about things like "Sooyoung is so much prettier than stupid Yoona!" "Sooyoung should be the main singer of the group and Horsica and Hyogre should go die!". Cue furious backlash against Sones and Sooyoungsters, even after the anti revealed themselves and laughed at all the trouble they'd caused.
- The treatment some Sones gave one of the admins of that blog deserves to be mentioned as well. One of the moderators, Ashley, said that Sooyoung was her least favourite member. She also has the misfortune of being the most active mod, and publishing a lot of (negative) confessions about Sooyoung (including those made by the aforementioned anti). Cue fandom dumb, wherein she even received death threats because people were convinced she was an anti and hated Sooyoung.
- There's another anti active on the blog - they call themselves "HungarianSone", and reblog every confession about Sooyoung with a nasty note attached. For example, they claimed she "would only be able to sell two albums" if SNSD ever broke up and went solo, and that she was "an ugly pathetic bitch who drag[s] the whole group down". Fandom opinion is that this is just a troll (or a STAND member), but still.
- The Oreogate (Taeyeon/Baekhyun) scandal. Yikes. For those who don't know the whole story, Taeyeon and Baekhyun started talking after Baekhyun was in a TaeTiSeo music video, and started dating in February 2014. Not long after former EXO member Kris came out saying that he was suing SM and leaving the company, BaekYeon were photographed in Taeyeon's car, driving with the top down and kissing in public. Fans of both groups went nuts, calling Taeyeon an "fox in an elephant's skin" (a sly, deceitful woman who acts like a cute, innocent one) and a "slut" for (allegedly) dating four guys from the same company (she has also supposedly dated Leeteuk and Kangin of Super Junior and Junsu of JYJ/TVXQ). They also claimed the two had been using fan gifts as well their Instagram accounts that were "made for the fans" to send messages to each other. Taeyeon originally tried to apologize through a post on her Instagram, but it was quickly deleted and her company kept her quiet. After landing in Japan for an event, Taeyeon found a fan who spoke Korean and cried, begging them to tell the fans online that she never meant to hurt them or use them and she hopes that they can forgive her. This seemed to have everyone pacified until one netizen pointed out in that in the paparazzi's pictures of the incident... She was wearing one black (or Baek in Korean) stud and one white (or Hyun in Korean) stud in her ear. Uh-oh. For a while, she and Baekhyun barely even touch their official Instagram accounts nor their alleged secret Instagram accounts for one another, "brntbbdass" (Born To Be Bad Ass) and "brntbbdassxoxo" (Born To Be Bad Ass XOXO).
- It seemed to be mostly jealous fangirls of Baekhyun and fanboys of Taeyeon who were upset, and they were called out by other, more rational netizens. There was also debate about whether or not Taeyeon and Baekhyun's Instagram posts were considered "betrayal", with international netizens saying that Korean netizens needed to "calm down and get over it". Korean netizens responded in a polite and civil manner saying that international netizens were delusional cockroaches.
- Note also that Taeyeon has been bearing the brunt of people's fury, while Baekhyun has been mostly silent. This has not gone unnoticed.
- One example of the hate she's getting came from an article saying that she and Red Velvet's leader Irene happened to look similar: "Irene is a million times prettier than that poophead dwarf Taeyeon".
- Taeyeon returned to Instagram, posting about SNSD's 7th anniversary. Comments were kinder than normal, saying "She uploaded a picture celebrating their 7th anniversary.. this isnít something you need to leave hate about", "Iím going to take screenshots of EXO fans posting hate and spread it around.. I really think theyíre the bad apples of society.. Iím sure theyíll realize eventually that itís not like theyíll stop dating just because of their one hate comment. Karmaís going to come back and itís going to all land on your oppas receiving hate back tenfold", "EXOís crazy fangirls, stop leaving hate on her page. Itís all going to result in people hating on your oppas anyway" and "I feel sad for them because theyíre getting hurt just because theyíre dating at an age when everyone else is dating.. They receive a lot of love from the public but also a lot of hate.. and yet, Iím jealous of how much money they make".
- Netizen comments about Sooyoung have taken a nasty turn after the Taeyeon/Baekhyun scandal. They're saying that Sooyoung should not be cast as the lead in dramas, but as "the lead's South-East Asian best friend", and after it was announced that she was going to be an announcer for the upcoming Miss Korea pageant, people said that the show might as well be called "Miss South East Asia" and that Sooyoung (along with Sunny and Hyoyeon) were the "ugly" members of SNSD.
- As of 29 September 2014, The announcement that Jessica had been forced out of the group. SNSD had been one of the shining examples of girl groups who all got along and had stayed together for years upon years (almost 13-15 years as trainees and group members!) with little to no strife. While in New York, Jessica had woken up to start promotions with the group to find out that she was forced out of the group◊ and said so on her weibo in both English and Korean◊. She later released a full statement giving a timeline, stating how SM and Girls' Generation originally supported her wanting to own a business but only after she launched it, the girls changed their stance and called for a meeting and forced Jessica to choose between the group or her business. She then went to the company and they gave her permission once more, but then on the 29th, she was told to leave the group. SM fired back by stating that allegedly Jessica put her fashion company, her rumored boyfriend and wanting to go back to school in America for design a bigger priority over SNSD.
- However, in a moment mixed with CMOH, at the Shenzhen fanmeet Jessica was headed to when she got kicked out, fans showed their support for Jessica by holding their pink J lightsticks, and holding up signs saying "8+1= COMPLETE". Surprisingly, the group members also decided to leave Jessica's parts mostly unsung note and filled in by the fans and after a while, Seohyun broke down in sobs, followed by Yoona, Hyoyeon and Yuri. note
- Some k-netizens and fans, however, pointed out that Jessica had been rumored to be wanting to leave for a while (supposedly to get married - rumours of this had been circulating for nearly a year), so they found her announcement to be in very bad taste. However, these marriage rumors were debunked as the supposed marriage partner in question denied the engagement and relationship multiple times himself and Jessica had never acknowledged him as more than just her business partner and the rumors of Jessica wanting to leave came from anonymous unverified sources that claim to be close with Jessica and the girls, so take it with a grain or two of salt.
- It wasn't just "anonymous unverified sources", though - the rumours gained even more traction after an episode of Jessica & Krystal's reality show aired in which Krystal cried and said that "Nobody listens to what I have to say," and Jessica replied "Don't worry, we'll be free soon." Just a little while after that... and Jessica announces her departure. That's an awfully big coincidence.
- Just shortly after Jessica's allegedly forced removal from the group, the group released their music video for their Japanese single "Divine", which was the last music video with all nine original members. Reactions ranged from heartbroken over the loss of OT9/Divine Nine to bitter over how Jessica received the lines "We are always one" and "We can be divine" .
- At the end of their Tokyo Dome concert, the girls sang a new ballad version of their first single, "Into the New World." The moment was so emotional that Sunny could barely sing her parts since she was crying so hard. Several of the other girls followed suit.
- After the group won at Music Bank for a performance of "Kissing You" done after the group had to run on foot to make it in time after a car accident, everyone starts violently bawling Tears of Joy. It can be hard to watch, and was at one point ranked as one of the most tearjerking moments in SNSD history.
- Sooyoung's mother reading her daughter a letter is equal parts Tear Jerker and Heartwarming Moments. Even Sooyoung wasn't able to keep her emotions back.
- Sunny talking about her grandparents who are very sick, and eventually taking a chance to talk to the camera as if she is talking to them in hopes that they'll watch. She sounds exactly like a child, which makes it even more devastating to watch.
"Please don't be sick..."
- Sunny also said that her grandmother is so badly ill, she can't even recognize her anymore.