Ys Book I and II
- The ending where Feena and Reah leave for a higher plane of existence. "Promise that you'll always remember the girl in me." The sad music "A Still Time" intensified it.
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Chester pulling a Heroic Sacrifice and destroying Galbalan (along with himself), and leaving Elena behind, who then gives an oath to him that she'll stay strong without him.
- Most scenes involving Stoker, especially with that sad "Theme of Lovers" music.
Dawn of Ys
- Yunica's Heroic B.S.O.D. where she blames herself for Feena being captured and almost gives up before Roy tells her where she can find her father's sword. It doesn't end there as her father's spirit tells her that, as a soldier, his only regret after dying in battle against a Worthy Opponent was leaving her behind.
- Poor Epona. She laid in Hugo's arms as her body started to petrify and shatter, she perished with the most heartbreaking smile of the game.
Hugo: Why?! Why did you go through all this... for me?Epona: ... I, don't actually know...
- Even more painful was Feena and Reah sealing the Black Pearl in Toal's route. He's lying wounded and exhausted on the floor, begging them not to do it as they sacrifice their wings to stop Darm. This is made even more painful by the fact that it was implied that he'd found another way to stop the demons earlier but hadn't had the opportunity to explain his plan before the end.
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
- The death of Captain Barbaros, especially in that he leaves behind a wife and daughter.