[[quoteright:358: [[VideoGame/SuperMarioSunshine http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/32000d308defc57a4a0d6588a173bf8d.PNG]]]]
[[caption-width-right:358: "Mario...was I...of...assist...ance?"]]
-> ''"Oh, how sad."''
-->--'''Toad''', ''VideoGame/MarioParty'' 7
* ''Mario and Luigi''
* Saving Princess Toadstool for the very first time in the original ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1''.
* ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros2'' turning out to be AllJustADream. Most likely, Mario and company had great times kicking the butts of Wart and his forces together, but those adventures never actually happened and only Mario will remember them.
* The credits sequence in ''VideoGame/MarioKart64''. There's just ''something'' about the music and the panoramic views of the tracks that makes the tear ducts flow...
* ''VideoGame/SuperMario64'' had unused animations for Mario crying.
* ''VideoGame/SuperMarioRPG'''s credits, which not only has the music but also scenes of people you've met throughout your journey getting their wishes finally granted. And just when you think it's over, the main ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1'' theme starts playing on a music box.
* The storybook segments in ''VideoGame/SuperMarioGalaxy''. The art style and background music is slightly heart-rending to begin with, but it gets worse when [[spoiler:Rosalina admits to herself that her mother is [[NeverSayDie "sleeping under the tree in the hill"]]]].
** At first the music is just like all of the other storyline segments but after the playback of young Rosalina's memories the music changes as she has a complete breakdown.
--->'''Rosalina:''' I want to go home! I want to go home right now! I want to go home! I want to go back to my house by the hill! [[spoiler: [[IWantMyMommy I want to see my mother!]] But I know she's not there! I knew all along she wasn't out there in the sky! Because...because... [[WhamLine she's sleeping under the tree on the hill!]]]]
** Not to mention the game's ending: [[spoiler:All of the Lumas die due to what appears to be the universe ending... followed by muted baby cries, representing that they have been reborn.]]
*** When [[spoiler:your Luma chirps and waves goodbye to you before hurling itself into the black hole...]]
*** Related to this, if you finish the game with all 120 stars, [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZ2pTdxQHY the bonus scene after the credits]] will likely have you crying tears of a different sort; [[spoiler:after Rosalina [[BreakingTheFourthWall says her farewell]] and her ship takes off, the camera pans to a small planet and zooms in to reveal your Luma peeking from behind a rusted mushroom ship (presumably the same one from the storybook) and waving, alive and well after all... followed by a shot of the Luma chirping as it soars into the air.]]
** When the black hole forms and begins sucking the characters into it, Mario and Peach [[FutileHandReach desperately reach for each other]] before flying apart.
** The background music (a slowed-down remix of the "Good Egg Galaxy" level music from the first ''VideoGame/SuperMarioGalaxy'' game) that plays on the World 1 map from ''VideoGame/SuperMarioGalaxy2''.
* In ''VideoGame/SuperMarioSunshine'' Fludd's DisneyDeath: "Mario...was I...of...assis...tance?"
** The kicker? Mario didn't even get a chance to say "Yes". On top of that, if you look closely, Mario appears to be ''crying'' right after FLUDD dies. Even if FLUDD was a machine, [[WhatMeasureIsANonHuman Mario still viewed him as a friend]].
** If you aren't too wrapped up in the fight, you'll notice that FLUDD's dialog starts out normal, then gets increasingly broken. Considering a few things, like the fact that it doesn't look like he ever actually got hit during the fight, this implies either that he was steadily breaking throughout the entire game, or that Mario was handling him much rougher than he could take during the boss fight. And FLUDD was either too concerned with the task at hand (or at least helping Mario), or didn't know he was breaking until the last minute.
* The VideoGame/YoshisIsland [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-uXb_TtYg credits theme]], specifically with the slow reprise of the Level Clear theme from the original ''VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1'' [[http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00485/ This remix]] is also sad.
--> Heroes are born!
** [[FridgeLogic Fridge Tearjearker]] when you realize this was the EndOfAnAge for both 2D [[Franchise/SuperMarioBros Mario games]] and 2D [[PlatformGame platformers]] ''in general'' for many years.
** The ending of ''VideoGame/YoshisStory''. Not so much the ending itself as the music, which ends on the tearjerkingest 13 notes ever. Or something akin to them, anyway. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaSg-4nZTbk Just listen for yourself.]]
** And the ending of the ''Yoshi's Island DS'' has [[spoiler: the birth of Yoshi. ''Our'' Yoshi]].
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo9S3-q-WUY/ The music]] during the ending of ''[[VideoGame/MarioParty Mario Party 3]]''.
* The ending of ''[[VideoGame/MarioParty Mario Party 5]]'' as dreams are restored to normal and you see the characters and the boards floating in a sea of lights in the night sky.
* As one commenter put it, [[WithLyrics after hearing]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqu48rHrWXM&feature=related this]] "I'll ''never'' skip [[VideoGame/SuperMarioBros1 World 2-2]] anymore".
* Perry's flashback-dreams in ''VideoGame/SuperPrincessPeach''. Especially the final one.
* The ending of ''VideoGame/SuperMario3DWorld'' really makes you feel proud and accomplished, but also sad that the adventure is over.
** A Koopa Troopa's reaction to losing its shell. It chases after it in panic and becomes depressed if you steal or destroy it.
* [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqYg7SxU2yE Some of the character reactions to getting a bogey or a double bogey in the Mario Golf series]] is sometimes very depressing to watch. Especially in Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Mario Golf World Tour.
** Mario reacts by running in circles and covering his eyes crying. Until he trips on the ground and admits his loss.
** Luigi gets shocked and admittedly starts crying.
** Bowser Jr starts throwing a temper tantrum.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4M1f09NoOI&t=6m35s Toadette yells and then falls on the ground and begins sobbing.]] A yellow and green toad quickly run up to her and try to calm her down. Toadette doesn't take her losing very well, and quickly pushes both toads out of the way and runs away crying.
* This Tear Jerker has more to do with the final issue of Magazine/NintendoPower, but it also concerns Mario. Remember the cover of the [[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Nintendo_Power.jpg first issue]]? Readers of this magazine for the past 25 years will likely shed a nostalgic tear or two as the [[http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/2012_11/62XJ6.jpg final issue's cover]] [[BookEnds pays homage]] [[CallBack to the first]].
!!The Live Action/Animated Television series.
* In a meta example, Wrestling/CaptainLouAlbano, who potrayed Mario on ''Series/TheSuperMarioBrosSuperShow'', ''WesternAnimation/TheAdventuresOfSuperMarioBros3'', and ''WesternAnimation/SuperMarioWorld'' passed away at age 76. The same thing happened when Creator/DannyWells, who potrayed Luigi passed away at age 71, to Tony Rosato, who portrayed Luigi on ''WesternAnimation/TheAdventuresOfSuperMarioBros3'' and ''WesternAnimation/SuperMarioWorld'' on January 10th, 2017, when he passed away from a heart attack at the age of 62, and to Harvey Atkin, who voiced King Koopa in all three cartoons on July 17th, 2017, who died of cancer at the age of 74.
* [[Film/SuperMarioBros The movie]] has the scene where Luigi and Daisy say goodbye. Especially when Mario has to pretty much drag him back through the portal.
* In a meta example, BobHoskins, who portrayed Mario in the movie, passed away at the age of 71.
* Early in the movie, Daisy's mother dies. Later on, it's implied Daisy finds and appraises her fossil at the dig site and doesn't even realize it.
* Lena stabbing poor Yoshi. Hard to say she didn't [[MoralEventHorizon cross the line]] there. Even Daisy felt sorry for him.
* When Mario and Luigi are [[ForcedToWatch forced to watch]] as Toad is de-evolved.
* Daisy learns that her father was de-evolved into a mushroomy goop which is still sentient. [[spoiler:He gets turned back by the end. Toad isn't, as far as we see.]]