%%This page is for examples specific to the first film and any tie in ''Shrek'' media without its own page. Keep examples for the other films on their designated pages.
* Shrek explaining to Donkey why he is the way he is:
-->'''Shrek:''' It's the world that seems to have the problem with ''me!'' People take one look at me and go, "Ahh! Help! Run! A big, stupid, ugly ogre..." ''[depressed]'' They judge me before they even know me. That's why I'm better off alone.
** There is also Fiona's expression behind the door after she overhears this line. She's clearly regretful of how she misjudged Shrek, and as such becomes softer towards him the next morning.
* And don't forget the scene after Shrek and Fiona split up, and everything's going as planned for Fiona and [[BigBad Lord Farquaad's]] wedding, but both are completely miserable. What really pushes it into tearjerker territory is the heartbreaking ''Hallelujah'' by John Cale playing in the background.
* The misunderstanding where Shrek overhears Fiona saying, "Who could ever love a beast so hideous and ugly?" is painfully hard to watch. Extra points for being depressing both from Fiona's side ''and'' Shrek's side of the conversation.
* ''"I live alone! My swamp! Me! Nobody else, understand?! Nobody! Especially useless, pathetic, annoying'' '''''talking donkeys!"''''' Just...that. During the whole line, he's obviously trying not to cry, and for once in his life he's let himself have a friend, let himself fall in love, and he thinks it can't be and is trying to shove Donkey out of his life. To make it worse, there's Donkey's clearly-hurt expression and
-->'''Donkey:''' But...I thought--
-->'''Shrek:''' Yeah, well you know what? You thought wrong!
** Kudos to Creator/MikeMyers. His [[SugarWiki/HeReallyCanAct delivery of the line]] really sells how upset Shrek is about the ordeal.
** It comes right back around the following scene when Donkey confronts Shrek about this.
-->'''Shrek:''' If I treated you so bad, why did you come back?
-->'''Donkey:''' ''[furious]'' Because that's what friends do! '''''THEY FORGIVE EACH OTHER!'''''
* The scene when Shrek once again sees his reflection after he returned to the swamp. In the beginning of the film, Shrek seemed proud of his appearance but after being seemingly rejected by his love Fiona, he is utterly disgusted with himself.
* Lord Farquaad's attempt at a breaking speech towards Shrek begins with "It's rude enough being ''alive'' when ''no one wants you!''" Evil or not, that was [[KickTheDog just uncalled for]].
* The TwistEnding-
-->[[spoiler:'''Fiona:''' ''[In her ogre form]'' I'm supposed to be beautiful...]]
-->[[spoiler:'''Shrek:''' But you ''are'' beautiful.]]
* In the Broadway musical, there is the closing number of the first act "Who I'd Be" where Shrek is talking to Donkey about the things he would do if he weren't an ogre. The real clincher is Shrek's line, which delivers just how alone and isolated he feels:
--> '''Shrek''': An ogre always hides / An ogre's fate is known / An ogre always stays in the dark and all alone.
** The musical in general is considerably more emotional than the film. One moment that stands out is this line in "Build A Wall"
--> '''Shrek''': What a fool to think she might love me / I opened my heart and let her walk through / She wanted Prince Charming / I wanted my home back / How lucky! Both our wishes came true!
** Shrek then says how is going to build a wall and never allow himself to have friends or fall in love again.
%% you might not notice it the first time, but we see the three bears in cages at first, then we see the dad and baby bear looking very sad later in the movie when at shreks swamp, then when we see Lord Farquaad's castle where the we see the mamma bear as a rug. to summarize: the momma didn't make it out of the cage with the rest of the fairy tale creatures and got killed, and her husband and son lost her.