This page is for series-wide Tear Jerkers
. Heartbreaking moments belonging to individual games or movies go on their own pages.
- Hell, if you really wanna get down to it, Resident Evil in general. The premise. The whole town of Raccoon City: innocent women, children, the elderly, hell And Your Little Dog Too, being infected, killed, and resurrected into flesh-eating, shambling corpses, that YOU have to kill. The worst part? This could have been avoided if Umbrella weren't such dicks.
- Sherry Birkin. She's left alone, for the most part. Her parents barely spend time with her due to their jobs as Umbrella scientists. She gets a call from her mother, telling her to go to the police station. She goes there, only there's zombies everywhere. She's also being chased by her G-virus mutated father, who wants to impregnate her with an embryo. She gets infected, later gets cured, only to get stuck in the custody of the U.S. government. Although Word of God says that Sherry is in the custody of the US government, fanon disagrees, saying that she was adopted by Wesker. In short, nobody knows what happened to her.
- Now Wesker is dead. Quite dead. This troper vaguely remembers seeing (very) early screenshots of Resident Evil 5 where Chris found a mysterious girl in suspended animation. Obviously, this did not make it into the final game, and the girl in the pod turned out to be Jill Valentine, but Sherry will not be happy that the man who promised to not forget/abandon her not only went back on his word, but (possibly) killed her adoptive father. Angst + psychic powers = very bad for Chris.
- First off, Leon was the one who dealt with her, Chris never encountered her once. Second, no psychic powers. Third, Wesker's Report said that Wesker had her. No idea when they'll deal with that plot point again.
- Wesker's Report, or at least that part of it, seems to have been Retconned out of existence. Darkside Chronicles makes it explicitly clear that Sherry and Leon were captured by the US government after the destruction of Raccoon City and the government is basically holding Sherry hostage to keep Leon working for them.
- Rest assured. Sherry Birkin has Taken A Level In Badass and is now a government agent.
- Who's adopted father turns out to be behind the assassination of the President of the United States and the deaths of several thousand people. Her G-Virus infection has also more or less made her Transhuman. For God's sake Capcom! Give the girl a break!
- Leon in general. As mentioned above it's theorized Leon doesn't have very many close friends. He screams Luis' name at his death, a man he knew for less than a day. His comrade, Krauser, went evil and they had to have a fight to the death. Ada is constantly backstabbing him (although it's comforting to know she does care for him and actively avoids having to kill him.) Sherry is used to blackmail him into a government job. The only real friends he has at this point are Claire and Hunnigan. The man's went through a lot and it's a wonder he hasn't gone crazy.
- Chris also gets his share of the sadness. Imagine fighting the good fight for 20 years and making seemingly no progress with no end in sight. Guy has a right to be as miserable as he is in Resident Evil 6.