- "One Promise Too Late", in which the singer meets her soul mate but decides to stay with the husband who's never been less than good to her.
- Also, her "The Greatest Man I Never Knew" — mourning the singer's late father.
- "Somebody's Chelsea" is about the singer meeting an old man on the plane home who tells her about his recently deceased wife and how absolutely he loved her. The title remarks that "every woman wants to be somebody's Chelsea."
- "What Do You Say" starts out on a fairly whimsical note, slipping into "sad" for the second, and then the last one...get your Kleenex ready, folks.
- "She Thinks His Name Was John" is another one that'll rip your heart out and stomp on it. A woman has a drunken one-night stand and finds out he was HIV-Positive, which then turns into full-blown AIDS for her. And this was made at a time when the prevailing belief was that "good people" didn't get AIDS.
- The entire album For My Broken Heart, recorded to help Reba work through her grief after her road band was killed in a plane crash.
- Her duet with Kelly Clarkson, "Because of You" has been known to break hearts.
- "Fancy" is the story of an eighteen-year-old girl whose father has abandoned her, her infant sibling, and her mother who is too ill to support any of them. Fancy's mother decides that the only way Fancy can get out of that life is if she uses her sexuality and basically become a prostitute. Not only that, but there is no mention of what happens to Fancy's younger sibling other than they got taken away by "the welfare people" and it's unlikely Fancy ever saw them again.
Tear Jerker / Reba McEntire
This country singer has been through a lot, and it really shows in her music.