* Hikaru's face in episode 2, "Presea, the Master Smith in the Forest of Silence" when she has only a piece of her favorite candy to offer as payment for weapons becomes this and a [[SugarWiki/HeartwarmingMoments heartwarming moment]].
* Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu explaining why the vision they see in the Spring of Eterna are the ones most precious to them; Hikaru saw her dog, Hikari, Umi saw her parents, and Fuu saw herself in episode 5 "Escudo, the Legendary Ore".
-->'''Hikaru:''' He's one of my best friends! He was always right by my side whenever I had to cry! When I hurt myself he'd be there to comfort me. He can't speak to me in words, but we can understand each other just fine! He's one of my closest friends in the whole world!
-->'''Umi:''' These are my loving parents! They sheltered me with their love every day when i was growing up and I saved it up in my heart all this time! And I'm going to return all of it by taking care of them when they need me and grow old! I haven't had the chance to repay any of their kindness yet; there's no way I'd ever hurt my mother and father!
-->'''Fuu:''' I am extremely important to myself! If something were to happen to me, my father, my mother, my sister... everyone who loves me would feel the pain! I am still young yet, and have done nothing for those who love me, so at least I need to tell them I appreciate their love! That is all I can do at this point. That's why I am important to myself!
* [[spoiler:Presea]]'s death in the anime also counts, regardless of which language it's presented in.
** Even with all the FridgeLogic surrounding [[spoiler: Presea's BackUpTwin Sierra]], the scene in which [[spoiler: she sadly talks to Mokona about her identity issues, her UnrequitedLove for Clef and how she can't grieve for Presea]] is very depressing.
* Ascot's reactions to the deaths of his [[SummonMagic summons]] may count. That he sheds those tears can't be faked.
* The circumstance that causes Hikaru's weapon to evolve in episode 8 of the anime when she's forced to kill her new pet. Even the usual music used for the ThemeMusicPowerup takes on new meaning during that same scene.
** You know what makes it worse? The beast actually hesitated because she had been so nice to it, but Ascot pushed it into trying to kill her anyway.
* Episode 9, "The Magic Knights' Greatest Crisis" has Alcyone tricking Ascot into killing one of his monster friends, then freezing him solid.
* Umi's weapon evolves in episode 9 when she breaks through the LotusEaterMachine and accepts that she's got to become a Magic Knight. She makes it back just in time to save Hikaru and Fuu from Alcyone.
* Hikaru's flashbacks in episode 14 as she chases the monster that abducted Umi and Fuu.
* Zagato and [[spoiler: Emeraude's]] reaction to Inouva's death in episode 17, "The Truth About Inova, and the Return of Memories".
** Ferio's backstory and why he [[spoiler:intentionally had his memories of being Emeraude's brother sealed]].
* The end of the first manga series/first season of the anime is heartwrenching. [[spoiler:The girls are forced to kill Princess Emeraude, and she summoned them there to do exactly that. They can't take a third option.]]
** It's ''worse'' in the manga. In the anime, the season ends with Hikaru giving a dramatic speech about how she wants to protect the land that Princess Emeraude loved so much. In the manga, the shot simply cuts to the girls clinging to each other and weeping, with Hikaru ''screaming'' "It's not fair!" over and over.
** Also the fact that this was the intended, final ending until enough fans complained.
** It makes the prelude to it a tearjerker upon re-reading, or watching. [[spoiler:Seeing the girls' joy and excitement after killing Zagato, thinking that they've completed their task and saved the world, and knowing what's about to happen is gutwrenching]].
** There's also the fact that this was the intended, final ending until enough fans complained.
** [[spoiler: Zagato's]] last words just before he dies.
--> '''[[spoiler:Zagato''': Emeraude, please, be free.]]
** The second season's own finale is even ''worse''. Voice actors for all versions (including the original Japanese version) were reputedly driven to tears. If it can affect the '''cast''' like that, think about what it could do to the '''viewers'''...
* While she didn't have many redeeming qualities in either the manga or anime, Alcyone's ultimate fate in the anime really makes a person feel sorry for her. First, she survives what happened in the first season only to be ''yet again'' rejected by Zagato, and ''then'' being both BrainwashedAndCrazy and used as a puppet by Debonair. Then once she's "freed" of Debonair, [[TheOphelia her mind is so worn-out]] from all the abuse that she keeps mistaking Lantis for Zagato. Then to top it all off, [[spoiler:she gets killed by Debonair once she's recovered enough to try a HeelFaceTurn, and she does so almost ''happily'' as she still voices out loud her undying love for Zagato]]. Wow, powerful JerkassWoobie vibes there.
* The girls meet at Tokyo Tower at the start of Rayearth II to try and make sense of [[spoiler:killing Emeraude and Zagato]]. Hikaru clenches her fist so hard that her hand starts bleeding.
-->'''Umi:''' ''Stop it, Hikaru!''\\
'''Fuu:''' Please don't hurt yourself, Hikaru. This isn't Cephiro... I can't heal you.
* When the girls learn that [[spoiler:Ferio is the prince of Cephiro in episode 23, Fuu immediately realizes that it means she killed his sister and starts crying.]] He reassures her that her last moments were happy because she could finally be with the one she loved, and Clef adds that the last words he heard from her was a "thank you" to the Magic Knights.
** Lafarga's harsh attitude towards Lantis, while understandable, is still rather sad.
* Hikaru's apology to Lantis for [[spoiler: killing his older brother Zagato]] in episode 24. Her guilt is bad enough, but she doesn't ask for forgiveness. Instead she gives him permission to ''hit'' her. She even pleads with him not to be angry with Umi and Fuu.
* In Rayearth II episode 34, Nova exploiting Hikaru's fear of [[spoiler:Lantis rejecting her love for him]].
** The heartbroken look in Hikaru's eye's when [[spoiler:Fake!]]Lantis says he could never have feelings for the person who killed his brother.
* When Lantis is fighting Nova in episode 45, he learns that he can't hurt her [[spoiler: because he might hurt Hikaru also]]. During their duel, Nova tricks him by creating the illusion that she is Hikaru. Attacking and injuring Lantis while his guard is down. Despite Lantis fighting Nova in a alternate dimension she created, Hikaru is able to sense something terrible has happened to Lantis.
* Near the end of episode 48, just after Lantis is rescued from Nova, Debonair appearing and [[spoiler: destroying the FTO, brutally killing Eagle in the process]]. Both Hikaru and Lantis are devastated.
** Debonair destroying Nova's Regalia, [[YouHaveOutLivedYourUsefulness even then coldly telling Nova that she has no more need for her and that she can just die along with the Magic Knights]].
** True Nova had been nothing but a monster up to that point, but she saw Debonair as her own ''mother''.