As a rule to every Zombie Apocalypse
adaptation: It must beget Tragedy
- At the end of several chapters there are pages containing pictures of several characters, be they minor or main, showing how they were before the Zombie Apocalypse. For example the early mugger/rapist happily washing his car, Alice swinging between her parents arms, various high school students going through their days, and Asami being chided by her CO. The pictures are generally lighthearted but if you stop and think about them too much, they become tearjerkers. One especially heartbreaking picture is shown in the anime. Remember that gym teacher who jumped from a window? In his picture, he is lying in bed with a tiny baby laying on top of him.
- During the end credits of one of the later anime episodes, Asami's CO runs in front of the post-it board featuring the photos of the all the characters, where she pauses briefly to look around. Then runs offscreen. This isn't so bad if you haven't read the manga. But if you have, you'll remember she was trying to find help for the survivors who were still trapped in the mall... except she doesn't make it.
- Midway through the second episode, as Takashi's group make their escape from the school with another group of survivors, the one with the towel twists his ankle and gets mobbed by "them". The look of terror on his face as they drag him down is utterly heartbreaking, but its the reaction of the girl in their group that does it. When she sees him go under, she becomes so overcome with emotion that she cast her only weapon aside and runs back to him - knowing she couldn't save him and that she would die along with him. Yet she didn't care, so long as she could be with him.
- Alice's father trying to comfort Alice as he lay dying.
- Asami giving one final salute before Hirano mercy kills her.
- Takashi being forced to Mercy Kill Hisashi. Made worse by the fact that he wasn't fast enough to stop his zombification.