Surprisingly for a story that's so grim and gruesome, Gantz
has a few genuinely heartbreaking moments.
- A major moment of tears in the Gantz manga is the death of Tae Kojima. She is the only character who REALLY contributed on the change of personality of Kei Kurono. She is revived later, but that's not the point.
- The death of Takeshi. God fucking DAMN is that sad.
- The deaths of the little boy and his grandma during the Tanaka aliens mission. They see the aliens coming for them while hiding in a garage, so grandma makes the boy leave, saying that she'll protect him and get him home safely. Moments later, the boy comes back to find grandma slumped on the ground with her eyes and ears bleeding from the aliens' attack. The boy goes to hug grandma one last time, disregarding the aliens in front of them. And as the aliens prepare to finish them both off, grandma hugs the boy one last time.
- This trooper it saw another tear moment after the Nurarihyon Mission: The love declaration of Reika to Kei, who rejected her because he loves Tae. she hopelessly decide to obtain the 100 points, to make a clone of Kurono for her. this trooper it cried by pity
- Tae dying in Kurono's arms, and later Kurono finally remembering that he used to lead the Gantz team and attacking the vampires only to be cut down after being distracted by the sight of his brother's head in the lead vampire's hand.
- Not to mention when the Old Man dies protecting Inaba, and we see his dying vision of him reuniting with his dead wife. Just when you thought you'd been completely desensitized to character deaths in this manga...
- What about when after being saved by the old man, Inaba goes on to have his Crowning Moment Of Awesome, crying as he realized that the old man was the only one who cared...and then he gets stepped on by the Monty Python's Flying Circus foot?
- Sakata's Obi-Wan Moment, which doubles as his Crowning Moment Of Awesome.
Don't even think about bringing me back!
- I can't believe no one has mentioned Kato's death at the end of the third mission in the anime. Not only is he never brought back, but his little brother will never be able to know what happened to his brother that MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARED AFTER PROMISING TO ALWAYS BE THERE FOR HIM. That moment really got to me at least.
- Ch. 333. The nerdy little cowardly guy from the Osaka team, Virgin-Kun (a fan nickname, since his actual name is never given), the last person you'd expect to be a hero, volunteers to join the Tokyo team in response to Kei and Reika's broadcast (he's the next-to-last person to arrive). He breaks down crying when he sees Kato there. Turns out he Manned Up hard after seeing Kato's example in Osaka, earned 100 points, and ... well, the last person to teleport in is Anzu. Then he and Kato (and, probably, the reader) share a Manly Tears moment.
- In ch. 351, Tae finally reuniting with Kei. The alien woman's reaction to this makes this moment all the more heartwarming and tearjerking at the same time.
- Chapter 357: Kei-2 wakes up to see the monster impaled through its head. Next to the said monster is a dead Reika. Desperately trying to save Reika in vain, Kei-2 eventually breaks down big time, as he apologizes to her for not admitting his feelings for her sooner.
- Ch 371, The advanced aliens proof that people are just things by reviving Reika, Kishimoto, Suzuki and Sei who seem to have their memories only for the aliens to explode them right in front of the people there. Note that Kei -2 gets to see Reika die a second time.