Tear Jerker: Beast Wars
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence.
— Dinobot, his Famous Last Words.
- Dinobot's death - and Shakespearean death speech. I knew it was coming, having been in the fandom for two years already, and still cried.
- Also his funeral immediately afterwards, where the other Maximals fly over his funeral in the "missing man" formation.
- I was staring with open mouth and tearing eyes. My mom asked me what was wrong when she came in to watch the episode with me (got her hooked on Beast Wars, we watched the whole series together), I just replayed the tape. We were both sobbing by the end.
- I knew it was coming and managed to hold it together until god damn Rattrap, who had been a constant mutual irritant up until now salutes! I'm tearing up just remembering it.
- He didn't just salute; he was the FIRST to salute. And this was after their last conversation was an argument over Dinobot's allegiance. The fact that this action made Rattrap of all Maximals salute him really puts it in perspective.
- Dinobot's death was one of the best death scenes I have seen on anything from TV or a Movie. It was one of the best cartoons I have ever seen.
Optimus Primal: He lived a warrior and died a hero. Let his spark join the Matrix... the greatest of Cybertron.
- I agree, thinking that Optimus Primal's words to Dinobot were especially touching, in light of recent events after "Maximal, No More". Optimus may have doubted Dinobot's allegiance back then but he will never again doubt how much of a hero Dinobot truly was.
- For this troper, it was that eulogy—delivering such heartfelt, broken emotion—that caused the tears to begin.
- Also touching was Rattrap's final goodbye: "You may be a slag spouting saurian, but it's nice to know where you stand."
- Not to mention Dinobot's reply: "Upwind of you, for preference, Vermin." At first, Rattrap opens his mouth to make another comeback, but then he just smiles and says nothing, letting Dinobot have the last insult.
- Blackarachnia's Disney Death in "Crossing of the Rubicon" may not generate tears, but it's certainly sad. Even if you're aware she comes back with a Transmetal upgrade.
- In "Law Of The Jungle", Tigatron's actions inadvertently lead to the death of Snowstalker, a female tiger he can...formed a bond with. Odd Friendship or not, you can't deny the sadness when he mourns the loss of her, shedding a single tear in beast mode.
- I cried buckets over the episode "Transmutate".
- Seconded. Made worse by the fact that her episode IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWS DINOBOT'S DEATH.
- Thirded, majorly. It ruins me just thinking about it. If not for the title character's haunting, pain-filled wail while trying to stop Rampage and Silverbolt from fighting then it was the underplayed, almost child-like final line:
Transmutate: Friend...good. Friend...dark. I...am...hurt.
- Rampage's wailing scream. For all his monstrosity, he had found a kindred spirit. Transmutate managed to bring out a semblance of decency out of a monster, and he ends up killing it.
- It's easy to miss, but there's a scene in "Transmutate" when the Maximals are unable to get a hold of Silverbolt and Optimus Primal decides to go and find him personally, saying "I don't want to lose anymore friends." After Dinobot's death, and earlier in the season there was Tigertron and Airrazor's abductions you can tell it's starting to take a toll on Optimus.
- During the series finale, I began tearing up as soon as Dinobot II began to remember who he was. Curse you Dinobot! Part of you came back just to make me cry, is that it?!?
- Even worse, he could have saved himself but chose to stay on the Nemesis as it exploded and die with honor (perhaps as atonement for the things he did when he shared his spark with Rampage).
- For this troper, the deaths of Depth Charge and Rampage brought a tear to my eye. The two were locked in an endless cycle of mutual torment, and in the end, they both managed to find a semblance of peace.
- I'd like to add that it's also a tearjerker that Depth Charge meets his death NOT wanting to fight Rampage, but willingly goes to try and disable Nemesis himself (following Optimal Optimus' orders without any snark or reluctance) against the whole Predacon crew including Transmetal II Dinobot and Megatron. And later, even knowing that both him and Rampage will die when he deals the killing blow and going along with it was.. just sad for this troper, considering Depth Charge was by far his favourite character.
- In "Feral Scream, Part 1," Cheetor appears to die when Megatron's Transmetal 2 machine explodes. The episode establishes pretty quickly he's still alive, but Depth Charge (thinking otherwise) takes back a piece of his armor and breaks the news to Optimus. The look on ol' Big Bot's face is downright heartbreaking.
- This tribute to the fallen Maximals.
- Tigatron and Airazor's abduction as they clasp hands and vow that their sparks will always find one another.
- A subtle one from the same episode, but notable. Dinobot and Rattrap had destroyed the Predacon tower that was preventing the Maximals from warning Tigatron and Airazor in the first place, and were sharing a rare moment of open comraderie with each other... until they are informed that they were "too late." Even Dinobot's spirits drop because of the loss of two respected allies.
- The sudden death of Tigerhawk. Two old friends brought back as one, in a very powerful body that is easily one of the strongest combatants of the Beast Wars, and we barely get to see them again before they get horribly burnt up. The Nemesis dispatched Tigerhawk so easily it was terrifying to know it's that strong.