Tabletop Game / Star Wars Miniatures
Star Wars Miniatures
, as the name suggests, was a collectible miniatures game based on the Star Wars universe
, first produced by Wizards of the Coast
in 2004 as a tie-in for the DVD releases of the original trilogy movies. It used many of the same mechanics as the Dungeons & Dragons
roleplaying and miniatures games. Really likes making people roll 20-sided dies, just like its sister game.
Characters were divided into various factions (Rebels, Imperials, Republic, Separatists, etc.), with characters choosing which faction to control characters from on their squad, although characters belonging to the Fringe "faction" could be added to any squad.
Although the game stopped production in mid-2010, it (like the Star Wars Customizable Card Game
before it) continues to have a dedicated player base, with numerous virtual sets in production.BlooMilk.com
has everything you need to know about the game.
This game provides examples of:
- Awesome Yet Practical: The "Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter" miniature is considered by many to be one of the best in the game. Not only does he have the ability to One-Hit Kill enemy characters (a staple of many a sought-after character in a lot of collectible games), but he also has various abilities that make him hard to kill himself while he zips around the board shooting away at enemy characters.
- Generally, the more popular and iconic a character was, the more likely he/she was to have a particular figure that was powerful and useful in the metagame. Darth Vader is another example, with most of his pieces being reasonably costed, useful for team support and/or powerful beatsticks in their own right to boot.
- Ascended Meme: Some figures have the passive ability to remove stealth from opposing units within 6 squares. Admiral Ackbar was the first figure with this ability, so it was named "It's a Trap!"
- Glass Cannon: Pretty much any character with the Heavy Weapon ability and many of the "scout" type peices.
- Lightning Bruiser: The various incarnations of Boba Fett. Also, the two Rancor characters. One particular Darth Vader piece ("Lord Vader") was also like this, with the ability to move and attack 4 times in the same turn; however, he was also something of a Glass Cannon.