So You Want To: Make A Run Away Hide Away
A Run Away Hide Away is a place in the story where a runaway character can live and survive. it can be different depending on setting. Here's how to give your runaway a home:
Think about your settingThe most important of all, as everything links back to the setting... The hideaway can be anywhere:
- A city
- A stranger's house
- A shelter
- somewhere in a large park
- A church
- A friend's house
- The woods
- A small hut
- A cabin
- A campsite
- A cave
- A deserted island
- A ruin
- A foreign land
- Another planet
- A hidden realm
Dude, where's my stuff?Dependent on setting. In a city you can get nearly anything if you have money and a place to go home to (It may be more difficult in a foreign country). Even shelters provide food and materials. In a setting usually desolate or abandoned like an island or forest, materials and food are a challenge to get. If you weren't smart enough to take some with you, you may end up crafting your own tools and clothes. You could occasionally steal from near-by cities or colonies but they'd take careful planning. Plus you don't want to get caught after running away. There may not even be anything close to civilization around leaving you to fend for yourself. You'd need to require a number of skills and know where to find certain resources: Food:
- Vegetation - plants, trees and flowers. There are various fruits and vegetables and even some flowers are edible (fact).
- Wild life - The idea of hunting and killing animals may creep you out... Boars and pigs are pork; consider wild birds a chicken substitute if no chickens can be found... Cows are beef; Crocodile meat can be food while the skin can be made into clothing. Fish, oysters and shark meat are also good.
- Water - A freshwater source is necessary. Freshwater sources are usually waterfalls or small ponds. Your own pee can even be filtered and consumed (gross fact).
- Wood - from trees
- Stone - can be mined or picked up off the ground.
- Cloth - if there's sheep, theres wool. Wool can make cloth. The cotton plant can also help.
- Dye for clothing can be made by boiling certain materials in hot water and letting fabric steep in them.
- Bamboo can be sharped to make a spear.
- Metal can be melted to make knives.
- Stones can be cut and softened to make several tools.
- Clay can be used to make brick.
Flying solo or making friends?There are advantages and disadvantages to running away alone. Pros:
- All resources for yourself
- No traveling companion makes traveling for longer periods of time easier
- no one to talk to
- no one to take care of you
- Must avoid battles or die!
- people to be with
- emotional support
- people to tend to the injured
- More members in a battle
- resources can be easily depleted
- Someone might rat you out
Wait a minute, where do I come from?Another thing to think about is what setting your character is running away from? Did your abused runaway finally snap and run from their abusive family in the city? Is the rebel in a not so utopian future sick of the rules that bind him? This will effect the other subjects after this one. Take your time and think. Computers don't fall from the sky and TVs don't come from trees. Electricity can't be made from dirt either... When you're running away, you should also bring some useful survival type resources to help you.
- Use your resources:
- if you have farm land, start growing
- if you're at the ocean, start fishing
- Field of flowers? Start picking