Show Within A Show: Fan Works
Examples of type 1 (characters involved in production)
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, Bakura and Zorc star in a sitcom called Zorc and Pals. And The Suite Life of Zorc and Cody.
- Also the brief appearance of Kill Your Family.
- In Legally By 30, Quinn stars in a show called Crashcart Justice.
- The South of Nowhere story, "Romance on the Set" Spencer and Ashley (and many of the other characters) star in a teen drama called North of Somewhere and meet during production.
- In The Game of the Gods, Morgoth and Varda play a Cosmic Chess Game. Each game is a story. Morgoth's game piece is a Mary Sue, and Varda's goal is to remove this piece from the board. Morgoth is always losing, so we go through 30 stories, each centered on some Mary Sue.
- In All You Need Is Love, in order to raise money for the Kira investigation, Matsuda writes and produces a low-budget soap opera called "The Boogeyman" which is very loosely based on the lives of the Kira-taskforce and has roped the taskforce into acting in his Soap. To Light's ire Matsuda has him cast as "the nice gay schoolboy."
- The entire plot of The Calvin, Hobbes, and Paine Show revolves around Calvin and Hobbes being one of these, and being retooled into a Variety Show after Watterson leaves.
- Superhero RPF is a fanfic about fanficers so it has a lot of fanfics in it. Most just referenced by their title and summaries, except For Asgardia!, by a guy going by the username Sassgardian, from which there are excerpts all around the fic. It get's him accused with Draco In Leather Pantsing for his heroic interpretation of Loki, and when his identity comes out, he is in fact Loki, with writing Self-Insert Fic.
Examples of type 2 (characters are fans)
- Several in Aeon Natum Engel:
- Kyon Big Damn Hero has a Trope-tan anime and movie, with shades of Type 3 and possibly 4 mixed in as well.
- Sonic Evil Reborn Zero gives us ''Atom The Porcupine,'' a video game franchise about the adventures atomic rodent and friends who trumps Atom's arch nemesis, Doctor Nucleo. Tails is a massive fan, even going so far as to write novel-length fanfiction that is much deeper and more serious than the saccharine source material, to the point of being laughable.
- In The Vinyl And Octavia Series the protagonists get a book written about their first adventure. It's implied to be badly written.
Examples of type 3 (the show is a plot point)
- In Equestria: A History Revealed, the Lemony Narrator writing the fic-essay decides to go out drinking and just copies a large block of test from a book on a soldier's recounting of a significant battle in the history of the Equestrian Civil War into the fic. Notable in that the copied text proves to be vastly different in tone than the rest of the tone of the fic, probably due to its In-Universe copied nature, and is even written in a more high quality fashion than the rest of the essay-fic.
Examples of type 4 (the show is eerily similar to the main show)
- Atom the Porcupine doesn't end there. It's noted that the series was once extremely popular and rivaled another great franchise, but has gone through a Dork Age filled with an unneeded surplus of characters and pitiful 3D games and, though getting back on its feet in recent days, is still ridiculed as a "kiddy game series."