- The series tends to namedrop other works - often works that the author(s) are fans of, like Doctor Who and Garfield and Friends.
- The Hypercube is functionally identical to an invention from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Jack T. Robot's full name recalls that of Crow's.
- This line:
Hobbes: Come on, Calvin! This is no time for a bout around Mr. Calvin's Neighborhood! We need to get home!
"I've got a few questions for you, buddy! Where were you the night of August 23? What do you know about the Klopman Diamond? Where did you hide the gloves? When was the war of 1812? Who put the 'bomp' in the 'bomp sha bomp'? How did you dispose of the body? And, most importantly, IS PROFESIONAL WRESTLING FIXED??"
- Retro lures the kids by promising them a trip to "DisneyLand".
- Then there's this from Tracer Bullet:
- "Okay, Blondie! This is it!"
- This particularly lengthy exchange is full of them:
"but then who's the imposter?" asked Spiff.
"I'll give you ten guesses." said the fake Chill.
"Dumbo?" asked Calvin.
"No." said the fake Chill.
"Martha Stuart?" asked Hobbes.
"No." said the fake Chill.
"David Letterman?" asked Galixoid.
"I'll give you a hint." said the fake Chill. "alien"
"GARFIELD!" shouted Calvin.
"JIM CARREY!" screamed Hobbes.
"MARK TWAIN!" insisted Spiff.
"LEMONY SNICKET!" screamed Stupendous man.
"SHERLOCK HOLMES!" cried Tracer.
"THE PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA!" yelled Galixoid.
"THE GUY WHO INVENTED MARBLES!" Nebular yelled.
"HANK THE COWDOG!" Calvin yelled.
- Also, the final chapter is titled "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jog" - a slightly off version of a rhyme most well-known for its use in Blade Runner.
- Early on, this line is spoken:
Mom: Where are we going to do this? The Land of Oz?
- Calvin later attempts to watch Tom and Jerry.
- The second chapter starts like this:
Dante's Inferno listed seven levels of Hell. Calvin's were as follows: Waking up early on a Saturday, sitting in the car for 2½ listening Dad rattle on about something, riding the canoe, unpacking everything, setting up the tents, failing to make a campfire and then eating dry spam because of it.
Hobbes: It can't be far now — I smell cocoa! And I'm loco for cocoa!
- Also, Calvin's dad manages to run over a cow, much like Jon Arbuckle once did.
- From Chapter 3:
Calvin: You sound like a cereal ad for some reason.
- Chapter 1 is titled "A Series of SemiUnforunate Events".
- Calvin describes Rupert as a demented SpongeBob.
- Then there's this:
Calvin: Ok. You've reminded me of that scene in that stupid Peter Pan movie, and all at once, I've lost interest. Thanks a lot.
- Calvin later claims to be SpongeBob.
- Near the end, this happens:
"I saw this on that Jimmy Neutron movie!"
- This line early on:
- It is said that the humans only dominate Earth because the dolphins didn't want the job.