Shout Out: Shinji and Warhammer 40k
Bpen loves making Shout Outs
to other works. Here are some of them:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Evangelion Fantasy Battles is painfully obvious.
- Chapter 10: Touji and Kensuke pointing to the sky and asking Asuka: "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?"
- And of course, many variations by many different characters.
- Chapter 10, also: Toji: "To those who have faith, as long as the chances aren't zero it might as well be a hundred!"
- Chapter 17: "Kirishima-san. You came here wanting to know. I will show it to you..." He pointed up. "Follow me and we will pierce the heavens. Believe in me, and we shall hold eternity in our palms."
- Chapter 23: "Hey! Hamagishi! Listen...! If you can't believe in yourself, then believe in me who... fuck it, I'm not finishing that."
- This is another line that many characters reference.
- Chapter 32: One of the trooper sergeants shouts to his squad before the underwater battle, "Pile on, boys! Show these scum who we are! Time to go kick reason to the curb and go Beyond The Impossible. PIERCE THE ALIENS WITH YOUR DRILL!"
- Chapter 34: "I am Ayanami Rei. And if he should will it. I shall pierce the Hells with my drill."
- Chapter 36: (Ritsuko) "You don't have to believe in yourself, you're just going to mess things up that way! Believe in me who believes in you!"
- Chapter 37: Some were already calling it the Nia Teppelin.
- Chapter 38: "SCHLAGANN IMPACT!"
- Chapter 39: ASCII art of "Giga Drill Breaker!"
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Several chapters: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
- From chapter 19:
- Chapter 23: Rei tweaks Asuka for angsting about how much use she really is in combat.
Rei: "Help us, Asuka Langley-Sohryu. You are our only hope."
- Also from Chapter 23:
"Say it." Kensuke demanded.
"Come on..." the bespectacled boy grinned widely. "You know you want to..."
- Dr. Sean Vord Lader (don't worry, it's lampshaded). Numerous other references to Vader can be found throughout the story, including when Kensuke gears up in the fight against the Angelspawn.
- One of the senior monks of Javaal carries a walking stick that used to be part of a broom, and talks like Yoda because his lungs are wrecked from smoking. Later in the story, he dual-wields lightsabers.
- Which, considering that character's fondness for the movies (he also designed a lightsaber-esque version of their crystal tipped staves), is probably intentional on the character's part.
- Chapter 39: "I am altering the deal. Pray that I do not alter it further."
- Chapter 42: "And again with the lightning. Who the hell does he think he is? Palpatine?!"
- Chapter 42: "Are you an angel?"
- Chapter 42:
Gendo: "Do I really need to say, your overconfidence is your weakness?"
- Chapter 43: Gendo's thirteenth Evangelion plan, involving Earth's Cradle, is nicknamed the Death Star plan.
- Ritsuko takes refuge in a book she owns with "Don't Panic" printed in large friendly letters on the cover.
- One of Shinji's simpler AT-field tricks creates a "Somebody Else's Problem" field to avoid attention.
- Also: "There was the sound of tearing metal, the feel of cold rushing air on his face; the knowing the entire train was going off the rails and inexplicably flying through the air with the greatest of ease... tumbling, sky, ground, sky, ground, was that a potted plant?"
- Chapter 43: "What's so interesting out there, anyway?" "Mm. Life. The universe. Everything."
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Endure. And in enduring grow strong.
- Chapter 34: "What can change the nature of a man?"
- Then again, Javaal is a silly place.
- "HA! I taunt in your general direction!".
- Later chapters contain a large number of references to Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri as well, and the zombie plague's origins may be relatives of Stargate SG-1's Goa'uld.
- Chapter 38 possibly references Stargate Atlantis: "Is the Trident that so different from the Eva? It at least did not require an activation gene."
- Chapter 24: The Vaultec Pip Boy Kensuke has in the Hot Springs Episode.
- Javaal's Temple of Trials, with its giant ants and scorpions.
- Chapter 38: "War, war never changes."
- "Shinji had the strangest urge to name [the Evangelion transport] a Hotaru carrier. In the end, he decided he wouldn't bless its machine spirit with Gran Serena until it got itself equipped with a few 'bringer of battlefield serenity' heavy autocannons or N2 mines."
- "I know young mister Ikari has a saving people thing..."
- Chapter 38: "Neither could live while the other survived."
- Chapter 27: A pattern of sunken lines appeared across Iruel's body. Lines which then grew bright red, and a similar constant beam shot forth.
- Maya muttered something about preferring the name 'Cortana'. A naked female advisor would have been just too obvious as marketing appeal.
- After the MAGI goes down yet again in Chapter 40, Admiral Yang wonders if giving one computer so much power is a good idea, explicitly comparing the MAGI to Skynet.
- Chapter 42: "No fate but what we make!"
- Aside from Sparks and all that, there's a soldier named Wulfenbach, who basically turns Shout Outs and lampshading Up to Eleven at the same time:
"This is getting ridiculous." he said, completely overlooking again that he should have had to reload -sometime- after shooting burst after burst with his Bolt Pistol. He had however, found a hat along the way. It was a Nice Hat
- Chapter 42: When Ritsuko connects with MAGI, she speaks and acts in a way eerily similar to Castle Heterodyne.
- Chapter 25: "Criminals were a cowardly and superstitious lot."
- Chapter 41: "It is not as if you would go on a ten-year training trip to learn martial arts, criminology, and high technology just to dress up like a bat and punch people in the face."
- Chapter 42: "Some days he just wanted to see the world burn."
Anime and Manga
- "I can't resist it! I must say it! Just! As! Planned!"
- At least it was one scene of devastation that couldn't be blamed on Shinji Ika...wait. He was around, wasn't he? That was enough. He's like a humanoid typhoon.
- Yui placed her open right hand on his face, just covering his eyes. "Humans... can become anything." she whispered.
- Chapter 10 shows the Evangelion Fantasy Battle Trading Card Game. It sounds extremely "similar" to Yu-Gi-Oh!.
- Chapter 22 has a long explanation about Dr. Tannhauser's discovery of the AT field which refers to another timeline in which humanity did not discover Lilith, where his work, in conjunction with an ancient Nautilus discovered in the Pacific, would have lead to the creation of "macroshifted materials" codenamed "Gunbuster".
- The way the AT-fields work is described before the Sahaquiel fight as the "secret of Blue Water".
- Chapter 34: (this angel this angel this angel...! It is an eyesore!)
- "Pilot Sohryu, I am charging your laser."
- Also to DBZ in Chapter 34: "I am not prepared to let you grapple it and shoot through the both of you, Sohryu."
- Chapter 34: "Do you fancy yourself a Lord of Nightmares now?"
- Chapter 44: "It would like asking Lord Ruby-Eye, hey, lend me your power so I can kill you (with your own power)."
- Chapter 35: "Monsters will never defeat monsters. Only humans will be able to kill the Angels."
- Referenced again in chapter 42: "Only a human can kill a monster? ... It is pride. It is just ego. You arrogant whelp."
- The Hellsing Organization is not named directly but Royal Protestant Knights do get a mention or two.
- Chapter 37: "Blessed silver. In the name of God, the impure sould of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation... Amen."
- Chapter 40 includes cameos from the main characters of Angel Densetsu. Also during this cameo:
Raka hunched over and shook her fists in frustration. "Wryyyy...?"
- Chapter 40 : "Dynotherms connected...Megathrusters are go."
- Chapter 41: Suddenly, each MP Eva wished they were a bird.
- Chapter 41: "What is that, some form of -Gatotsu-? You would really try to thrust that fang of a wolf at one who owns the sky?"
- Chapter 42: "... did you just Form Blazing Sword?"
- Chapter 42:
- Chapter 43: "Unless your name was Harlock, and your ship bearing Arcadia on its side, pirates were not allowed to exist in Yang's oceans."
- When SEELE finds out the Dead Seas Scrolls have changed, they refer to the "quantum magic" meme found in some sections of Evangelion fandom, generally used in conjunction with the "Bookend Reis".
- Chapter 40: Raka quotes a passage about the cowardice of suicide from Philip Massinger's Maid of Honour to Kaworu.
- "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."
- And again in Chapter 41: "I have taken your miserable pile of secrets!"
- Also, Kaworu's conversation with SEELE in chapter 35.
- "And have I MENTIONED he is ON FIRE?"
- The French want to build a "Grand Cannon" for defence purposes.
- Tremble, mortals, and Despair.
- From Chapter 30: "Or do you think love cannot bloom on the battlefield?
- Chapter 34: "we have*breep* no... chance to survive... *kzz* make your *bzzt* it's time."
- 34: "The angel is on its way to destruction."
- 34: "Its fine! You know what you're doing!" Misato said to the pilots. "Just keep at it, we're launching all the zig-zag retrieval lines."
- 35: "Main screen turn o... oh, wait, we already did that."
- Chapter 40 has Rei declaring "The probabilities will align, or the potentialities will be destroyed for great justice."
- Chapter 34: "Is that a headcrab?"
- Chapter 35: "... red star, fall! Stain the earth... red!"
- Chapter 39: "The face of war was a red-haired teenaged girl, perhaps brash and stupidly competitive even at the best of times, but if there was a force, a trinity of golden power adrift in the world; then she held Courage aplenty.
- "I don't know if you've noticed, Katsuragi, but The World Ends with You."
- "The streets of Tristram did not hold many mysteries for the boy."
- Chapter 41: "Why should I expend time and effort in mortal combat when I can just pull off a quick...." (Kaworu cuts off Units 00's head) "... fatality?"
- Chapter 42: Maya's appearance in Ritsuko's dreamscape has a long string of references to the ending song of the first Portal game. This is as she's uploading a copy of Ritsuko's mind into the MAGI, a copy which itself references Portal later.
- Chapter 42: Perhaps a stretch, but Unit 01, covered in ice, fights to prove that it's THE STRONGEST!
- Chapther 43: Yang's speech refers to the Way of the Open Palm and the Way of the Closed Fist.
- Chapter 36: "No grand plan should ever really go without a little look-over by a ten-year-old."
- Earlier, during Gendo's interrogation of Shinji, Shinji mentions that he doesn't have anything to monologue about. Gendo knows exactly what he means because he too has read "The List," though he had to make some compromises in setting up the Geofront as his lair.
- Chapter 40:
Its face was featureless, other than the thick red lips. It did manage to somehow evoke an 'I has a sad.'
- Chapter 44: Possible shout-out to SCP-682: NERV plans to put Lilith in deep-freeze until they're absolutely sure hurling it into the sun won't cause it to come back angry and on fire.
- "What are you looking at, you apes?! You want to live forever?!"
- Halt!...Hammerzeit! The G-Impact Stake is a large, red hammer powered by cartridges with audio announcements in German, like Graf Eisen. Or Alt Eisen. Asuka wonders if they expected her to go hunting vampires or something.note
- Later, the Farseer whispers, "...can't dodge this," while "Can't Touch This" plays in Shinji's head.
- Chapter 38: Asuka unleashes a Giga Drill Breaker with her cartridge-powered drillhammer, G-Impact Stake. Which then turns the target into light.
- Earth's Cradle is a possible lift from Blue Gender, which had essentially the same concept with the similarly-named "Second Earth". Ditto Super Robot Wars, which actually called theirs the Earth Cradle.
- Another troper mentioned the Moon Cradle supports the theory of the Earth Cradle being the SRW version. I, Rpgingmaster, a veteran SRW player, can confirm that. The Earth Cradle description is nigh identical to the version given in Super Robot Wars Original Generation 2 and Alpha Gaiden. The location, belt system, use as a military base\insurance policy for the survival of Mankind is identical. All it's missing is are Sophia Nate (the SRW leader of the Cradle), Egret Fehu (her treacherous XO), Sanger Zonvolt/Wodan Ymir, and the Machinery Children. And if you're going by OG2 continuity, Aguila Setme, Cuervo Sero and the Boosted Children.
- In a conversation about the possibility that MAGI has become sentient, Agent Kentaro alludes to Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. Later in the same discussion, Agent Jiro mutters "... Ghost in the Shell."
- Kensuke's latest version of Evangelion armor in Chapter 40 is known simply as The O.
- "FALCON! DRILL! PAAAAAWNCH!"
- Chapter 42: In Ritsuko's Journey to the Center of the Mind, Batman!Maya recites the lyrics to "Still Alive".
- Chapter 42: As the Shinji vs. Kaworu fight continues, Shinji starts waterbending. The NERV staff immediately start discussing which of the pilots should fit which character.. Also worth noting is that Shinji's first big water attack is a Suiryuudan no Jutsu.