Shout Out: Halkegenia Online
Please add examples in the order they appear in the story.
- The noise heard during The Transition is a modem dial-up signal.
- A sergeant in Chapter 3 Part 2 is reading a book called The King by one Niccolò di Bernardo.
- The acting faction leaders of the Imps and the Puca are Zolf and Zia respectively.
- In Sugou's treasure room there's a large sword called The Blade of Jenkins.
- When Asuna approaches the Chalice of Rebirth, her hair and wings briefly turn blue. This is a reference to her avatar from Volume 7 of the novels, where she was playing as an Undine.
- As is Octavia's humanoid form.
- While battling some mercenaries, Caramella leaps onto the roof of a hut, prompting this exchange:
The man turned, "Flight? A mage!" He screamed.
"No! Jump good!"
Caramella shouted as she slammed into him with her one armed shield.
- Kirche and Tabitha discussing what to do with Louise's failed summoning:
Tabitha: Need a Zerbst.
- One of the books on basic magical theory that Louise reads is Jafar's Dissertations Volume 3.
- After witnessing Kino's strength, Caramella accuses him of being Momotaro.
- Krito's gender-bent human faction disguise as the swordswoman Midori is based off his Gun Gale Online Avatar in canon.
- The Lerechaun representative and Lord Rute's retainer is named Torin.
- Leprechaun Master Swordsmith Kofu is a Hikikomori genius just like Kona "Frau Koujiro" Furugoori of Robotics;Notes
- During the retreat at Skiesedge one of the SAO 300 has received an arrow through the knee.
- Caramella again, after being launched at Dunwell, "You killed my partner!" The swordswoman roared. "Your ass is mine!"
- Drake, Morgiana's second-in-command is based on Drake Anderson from Read or Die. His opening speech mirrors Anderson's rant at Yomiko almost word for word.
- Marina, Kurotaka's sniper, is based on her namesake Marina Wolfsted from Valkyria Chronicles
- When accepting the York fleet's surrender, Morigana refers to herself as Morgan le Fay.
- One of the watch officers assigned to the murder investigation is named Vakarian.
- It is mentioned in the first chapter of HalO v2.0 that Asuna is experimenting with making noodles. Caramella makes Kino wear an orange jumpsuit for tasting.
- The city of Freelia is, in Caramella's words, "Minas Tirith, made from sandstone, and put on an island!”
- When Kirito and company meet the Cait Sith chief beast tamer Raz for the first time, he has a small Terrorantula perched atop his head. He calls it Lamar. Caramella laments not packing a crowbar.
- Two detectives dispersing a crowd of onlookers: “Move along people, there's nothing to see here. These aren't the Faeries you are looking for.”
- Netzel says she's well aware that "Loose lips sink ships", but depriving people of information will only cause further unrest.
- Later in the chapter, Freelia is described as "having a Fairy Tail feel".
- The scene with a patron going into the Charming Faerie Inn, seeing Louise and walking right out is a reference to a nearly identical scene in The Simpsons.
- The editor of the in-game newspaper is named Nicholas.
- The gown Midori wears for the Gala is based on the dress Kuroyukihime has in Accel World.
- According to Rip Jack, there are antilions in the tunnels beneath de Martou manor.
- Guiche's brothers are named after characters from Attack on Titan.
- “I'm simply an illusion of your youth.”; She said. “A manifestation of the feelings in your adolescent heart.” Midori shrugged his hand free, turning aside and crossing her arms beneath her chest.
- During her fight with Rip Jack, Morgiana uses Magic Missile.
- Morgiana calls Botan the Inch-High Samurai.
- During the fight with the golem, Midori emulates Unlimited Blade Works with the help of Guiche.
- Guiche's great grandfather was in fact his obese great-grandmother mistaken for a man, while his mother is based on Sybil Vimes.
- When Louise casts wandless Explosion, there is a voice in her head, and her arm is encircled with yellow runes, just like when Nanoha casts bombardment spells.
- The Imp assassin guild, Hogei-sen, are described as looking like the Whaler's from Dishonored.
- The Blink spell comes from the same source.
- “Hardly in need of forgiveness.” Julio answered, his smile returning. [[Tabletop Game/Warhammer40000 “Blessed is the mind too small for doubt]], Father Andre.”
- In Chapter 12 Part 1 Yui does what is basically a Magical Girl Transformation Sequence. According to Word of God it was based specifically on Vivio
- While they are dueling:
Heathcliff: “The only man to ever manage [to injure me] was Kirito-kun.” (Eyes narrowing dangerously) “I admit I was most surprised during our duel.”
- Bishop is reading The Fall of Hyperion.
- Jensen mentions he had been working in Ikebekuro and complains about the Color Gangs, bouts of mass hysteria, and a rider on a motorcycle with no headlight.
- The old Jotunn resembles Cherno Alpha.
- The young one has glowing eyes and a glowing heart, just like Gypsy Danger.
- Irene's 'counting finger' in Arrun Parallel Story is a shout-out to the confession scene in Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Looking at sleeping Yui, Kirito makes a mental note to ask her in the morning if she remembers any electric sheep.
- Klein at one point refers to Louise as Pinkie Pie.
- Sword Shiori's male human disguise is named Gavan.
- The Bronze Valkyries Technique has been passed down the Gramont line for generations!
- During his duel with General Belgen de Gramont, Kirito uses a weapon enchantment <<Flame Haze>>.
- Klein tells Caramella she has Girl Abs.
- "This is going to take a while, and we'll need to get you out that armor, but hey, who needs their friends when they have me and my ''scary'' needles?"
- The latest Kurotaka Name-chan is Kuro, from the SAO Girl Ops manga.
- Earl of Bernard describing his late brother: "I found my brother's lack of faith . . . disturbing at times"
- The vaults of the Tudors are said to house many powerful relics, among them The Seventy Companies of Seventy Golden Knights, the Garden of the Tree of Knowledge, the Sword of Grarhauss, and the First Ship Hringhorni.
- Aki opens a secret door only to be blasted by a wind hammer. Her comment upon getting back up: “Wow. Fus ro da!”
- There is a dagger in the Saxe Gotha vault that glows blue when the wielder is in an imminent danger.
- Asuna mentions that there's supposed to be a giant field boss somewhere in the Desert Zone around Gaddan, called Old Man of the Desert (i.e Shai-Hulud).
- The Salamander Not-Twins are named Elfi and Galinda
- Suisen's comment after Klein suggests swimming in the Ragdorian lake: “Fishbait ba!” The Pixie tucked into Argo's cloak repeated. “For <<Lake Dragons>>, and <<Lilly Wing Fish>>, and <<Sword Crabs>>, oh my chyaa!”
- Suisen again, after Asuna expresses disbelief at the amount of information she can remember: “I'm a collaborative resource that anyone can contribute to or edit ba! I don't even need donations chyah!”
- During the battle at the Ragdorian Lake resort Kofu imitates the Kamina pose.
“A few seconds? Huh . . . J-Just who do you th-think I am!” The slender katana in her right hand tapped against her shoulder as she took a step forward.
- 'One of these is not like the other' thinks Argo as she plays a game of spot the difference.
- The bosses that accompany Solomon are based on the demons of the Ars Goetia.
- Upon seeing Octavia's power-reduced form, Argo complains that they were essentially in a giant fight against Ponyo.
- Matilda's contact in Saxe Gotha is a talented forger named Basso
- “Papers. Please.” asks the guard at the Meddland on Rie checkpoint.
- There is at least one tragedy featuring the Potion of the Living Death as a major plot point.
- Greer: “That, Monsieur, was a different time. I [am] altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.”
- Sword Shiori: “Goblins, and Griffins, and Waldriders, oh my.”
- When asked by the children for a bedtime story, Shiori ends up retelling Star Wars, complete with sound effects.