Series: Z Cars
Z Cars is a British Police Procedural series that ran for nearly 800 episodes from 1962 to 1978. It broke new ground in realistic police drama, bridging the cozy Cop Show Dixon Of Dock Green and the gritty The Sweeney.Recurring characters in the early years included Detective Chief Inspector Charlie Barlow (Stratford Johns), Detective Sergeant John Watt (Frank Windsor), PC "Fancy" Smith (BRIAN BLESSED), PC Jock Weir (Joseph Brady) and PC Bert Lynch (James Ellis).In 1967, after a year in hiatus (during which Johns and Windsor moved on to star in the spin-off Softly Softly), Z Cars was relaunched with a new format and an almost completely new cast. The only characters to make the transition were Constables Weir and Lynch; Weir left a few years later, but Lynch remained a regular character to the end.The title of the series refers to the radio callsigns used by police patrol vehicles in the series.Z Cars had numerous spin-offs, all featuring Charlie Barlow, and many teaming him with John Watt.No relation to ZZ Top or the Cool Car from their videos.
Z Cars provides examples of:
- Back for the Finale: Charlie Barlow returned to the series after years away for the series finale, which also featured guest appearances by several members of the original cast playing new characters.
- Cowboy Cop: "Fancy" Smith.
- Domestic Abuse: Once shown as a problem even good coppers are prone to.
- The Inspector: DCI Barlow
- No Communities Were Harmed: Newtown is Kirkby; the nearby city of Seaport is Liverpool.
- Oop North: Set in the Lancashire/Merseyside area.
- Police Procedural
- Retool: Following a year in hiatus, the series was relaunched in 1967 with a new format and an almost completely new cast.