Series / Yeralash
, or Eralash (Russian: Ералаш) is a Russian (formerly Soviet) children's comedy TV show and children's comedy magazine. The show has been running from mid 70's to today. Each "episode" is ten minutes long, composed of several shorts (usually three). The show is very
popular. Normally, it features children, with problems like school, love, or parents. Often absolutely hilarious. By now, over 200 episodes have come out.
The title song of the series is one of the most recognizable songs in Russia.
Some of the tropes include:
- Afraid of Needles
- All Just a Dream
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Several shorts, like one where a guy is asked by his granny to do some chores, and says (rather rudely) that they'll be done by some famous people (a Russian figure of speech). When he comes home, they are all working (despite being dead).
- Cosmetic Catastrophe: Done at least twice. One occasion involved the little girl in question scaring off two robbers.
- Escalating War: Two kids start pushing each other... Then they call upon their relatives... Then we have a nuclear war.
- Everybody Smokes: Many of the kids smoke. One short is about two reporters searching for a student who doesn't. The only one they can find states he quit two weeks ago, and can't go on any longer.
- Helping Granny Cross the Street: The show has at least three cases.
- Hot for Student: There is a short about a boy who goes to a sorcerer in order to improve the attitude of a female (not too young) teacher who is displeased with his grades. The crush makes her believe she doesn't give him enough attention... how about a few hours of private tutoring every day?
- Hypocritical Humor
- Interrogated for Nothing: An episode about a boy first tortured and then shot for refusing to answer a single question how much is 7*8.
- Interrogation by Vandalism: there is an episode where a few boys come to a girl who refuses to do their homework for them, and punish her by tying her up and starting to cut up her posters of actors and music bands. She actually whimpers as if she's being tortured... until the boys get to one that proves to be a Berserk Button. Then, she breaks free and literally throws them out.
- Jabba Table Manners: The Princess Who Never Laughed.
- Jive Turkey: The first episode plays with it. A boy tries to tell his neighbor about something that happens, with the neighbor apparently not understanding due to the slang. Then the neighbor turns the table by taking a few lines by Nikolai Gogol and retelling them in the same slang
- Lots of Luggage: One of the shorts has a boy going on a trip with a friend of his. The friend said to only take the most necessary things. See the result.
- Operation Jealousy: girl grabs one random boy off the street and ask him to accompany her to her house. While hugging and kissing in front of her bully boyfriend to make him jealous. Once they come in, boy asks how is he supposed to come back home with bully sitting outside very angry. Girl disguises him as a girl and tells him to come back that way. Once the boy comes out, bully seeing how his girlfriend is looking down from the balcony, wants to take revenge, grabs the poor boy thinking he's a random girl and does the same strutting and hugging procedure. So he got involved in two operations "Jealousy" from both sides.
- Puppy Love: All the time.
- Refugee from TV Land: One of the shorts is about a bicyclist from a school mathematics textbook forcing two kids to finally solve the problem involving him.
- Relative Error
- Standard Hero Reward: The Princess Who Never Laughed.