Series / Watching
of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Malcolm Stoneway is a quiet mild-mannered birdwatcher. Brenda Wilson is a loud colourfully-clad motormouth. Given the rules of television, naturally they're destined to be together...aren't they?
This series provides examples of:
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The beginning and ending themes are sung in-character by Emma Wray as Brenda.
- Gilligan Cut: There is absolutely no way Brenda is going to ride on the motorbike with the Welsh dresser. No way.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Malcolm towers over most of the other regular characters, and most of them do the same to Brenda.
- Hypocritical Humor: Brenda is in no position to make fun of Terry's brightly-coloured jacket in Season Two.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every week it's a gerund. The first season gives us "Meeting", "Wrestling", "Outing", "Confusing", "Leaving", "Repenting" and "Hiding".
- What Does She See in Him?: Cuts both ways, they're a complete mismatch so what do they see in each other? The theme song even lampshades this.