This Life was created by Amy Jenkins and revolved around a group of young lawyers sharing a house. Debuting in 1996, it drew attention for its rather relaxed attitude to sex (especially homosexual sex) and drug taking.
Milly: Solicitor, in a relationship with Egg. Cheats on him with her boss.
Egg: In a relationship with Milly. Starts off as a solicitor before quitting and getting a job in a cafe.
Miles: Barrister, bit of a dick. Secretly in love with Anna.
Anna: Barrister, her desire to succeed is matched only by her ability to screw up. Secretly in love with Miles.
Warren: Barrister, gay, loses his job over an incident in a public toilet.
Ferdy: Motorcycle courier, somewhat confused about his sexuality. Has a one-night stand with Warren and rejects him. Moves into the house when Warren goes abroad.
A ten-year reunion special was broadcast in 2006. Reactions were less than positive, with most feeling the special was a poor shadow of the original series. The fact that the plot, which had the cast going to stay at a country house in the aftermath of a funeral, was a little too close to the plot of Peter's Friends
didn't help matters much.
This show contains examples of the following tropes:
- The Alcoholic: Anna
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: Warren.
- Blondes Are Evil: Rachel and Delilah.
- Candlelit Bath: Milly was a fan.
- Deadpan Snarker: Anna, so very, very much. Lenny has his moments, too.
- Depraved Bisexual: Ferdy, according to Miles.
- Everybody Smokes: This was made long before the smoking ban.
- Gayngst: Warren
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Egg is Rick Grimes, Miles is Commodore Norrington.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Anna when her mother dies and after her first AA meeting.
- Intoxication Ensues: When Kira eats Ferdy's "special cookies".
- Jerkass: Miles.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Miles again.
- Man Child: Egg.
- Manipulative Bitch: Rachel
- Megaton Punch: A particularly famous example occurs in the finale.
- Smoking Is Cool: Anna.
- Smug Snake: Rachel, O' Donnell.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, Warren sees one on a regular basis. Egg also visits one, as does Milly.
- Unintentional Period Piece: The Nineties. Not as bad as some. But the usual dodgy haircuts are there.
- An almost exclusively Britpop soundtrack, cellphones and laptops are rare (and very expensive) luxuries, a very relaxed attitude to smoking in pubs, restaurants and even offices.
- Wine Is Classy: White wine from Thresher's is Anna's tipple of choice.
- Your Cheating Heart: Milly. Poor, poor Egg