Series / The Prime Minister And I
The Prime Minister And I
is a 2013 / 2014 romantic drama series that aired on South Korea's KSB2 network.
Through a series of mishaps, Nam Da-jung, a reporter for a salacious gossip newspaper, "Scandal News", ends up in a contract marriage to Kwon Yul, the Prime Minister of South Korea, a widower with three young children. They try to resist their growing attraction as their lives are under the public microscope.
And what is a show without bad guys? Park Jun-ki is Yul's former brother in law and a pollitical rival, especially since he believes the Prime Minister caused the death of his sister seven years ago. He also has some shady dealings with his father in law, and appears to have married for reasons other than love.
The Other Love Interests include: Seo Hye-joo, a female assistant who went to college with both Yul and Jun-ki, but has been Yul's assistant for almost a decade. She has ambitions of becoming the next wife. And then there is Kang In-ho, a mysterious young man who was recently added to the Prime Minister's entourage as Chief of Staff. He has a secret agenda regarding Prime Minister Kwon, and a secret crush on Da-jung.
The series had seventeen episodes.
The series contains:
- Arabian Nights: Da-jung reads from the book to help the PM with his insomnia.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Kwon Na Ra to new step mother Da-Jung.
- Dub Name Change: In the Filipino dub, some characters are given the following names:
- Nam Da-jung - Sasha Nam
- Seo Hye-joo - Allison Seo
- Kang In-ho - Lester Kang
- Park Jun-ki - Franklin Park
- Kwon Na Ra - Mara Kwon
- Kwon Yul's name is retained because Yul is also a valid Filipino first name.
- Fantasy Twist: Hilariously used by Da-jung as she dreams up scenarios and possibly outcomes to her actions.
- Her and Yul battling it out in Joseon-era fashion.
- The PM, wife and assistants getting arrested, in prison garb and roped together, for the crime of going into a contract marriage.
- Human-Interest Story: While the other reporters are looking for Yul's political stances, Da-jung asks him about his type of underwear colored briefs and what kind of ice cream is is favorite strawberry
- Intrepid Reporter: Da-jung dresses like a hotel worker or janitorial staff to sneak in. She fails.
- Laxative Prank: A Scandal News reporter gets back at another paparazzi with a champagne glass full of laxative. Cue the Toilet Humor!
- Lured into a Trap: Da-jung gets a text that the PM is sick at a hotel. So does Chief Kang. And look! Lots of reporters show up.
- May–December Romance: He's 42; she's 28.
- Media Scrum: Groups of reporters hound the couple's every public event.
- Missing Mom: Yul's wife died in a motor vehicle accident seven years before the start of the drama.
- Paparazzi: Da-jung before her wedding chased celebrities with a high-distance camera. Also, her former sidekicks who still work at the newspaper.
- Sexless Marriage: Kwon Yul and Da-Jung are increasingly attracted and fond of each other but not ready for sleeping in the same bed even let alone sex.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Da-jung's father has Alzheimers and cancer, and is predicted to live for only six months.