The Mod Squad is a television series that ran on ABC from September 24, 1968, until August 23, 1973. This series starred Michael Cole as Peter Cochran, Peggy Lipton as Julie Barnes, Clarence Williams III as Lincoln "Linc" Hayes, and Tige Andrews as Captain Adam Greer.The Mod Squad was a police drama that featured three young, hip crime fighters. "One White, One Black, One Blonde," was the promotional hype-line. The basic premise was that three young people in trouble with the law (wealthy Pete stole a car; Linc was arrested during the Watts riots; Julie ran away from her San Francisco prostitute mother) can avoid jail by infiltrating the counterculture and exposing criminals who prey on other kids. The show's premise centered on the three young officers using their youthful, hippie personas as a guise to get close to the criminals they investigated.
The Mod Squad contains examples of:
- Abandoned Mine: In "The Cave," the team takes refuge in one to escape a dust storm, but a man crazed by the death of his son in "the war" blows the entrance with dynamite, trapping them inside.
- Bait-and-Switch Credits: The opening credits always made it appear as if Captain Greer was some bad guy pursuing the heroes when he was in fact their benevolent boss.
- Boxed Crook: The three primary heroes.
- Dawson Casting: Despite the series' concept of featuring three "young, hip" cops able to identify with "young people", Pete and Linc were actually played by actors who turned 30 in 1970 and 1969, respectively - making them no younger than most mid-career cops. (Averted with Peggy Lipton, who was only 22 when the series started.)
- The Film of the Series: In 1999 (starring Claire Danes, Omar Epps and Giovanni Ribisi as Julie, Linc and Pete).
- Reactionary Fantasy
- Reunion Show: 1979's Return of the Mod Squad, where the Squad reunites to investigate an attack on now Deputy Chief Greer. It later turns out to be only a ruse for a revenge plot on the Squad itself.
- Smart People Play Chess: In "Can You Hear Me Now?", Walter, a friend of Linc's, is shown playing three games of chess simultaneously. He then shows Linc how to break a code a car-stealing ring was using.
- Soul Brotha: Linc Hayes.
- Sunglasses at Night: Linc wore sunglasses a lot, including at night.
- Token Trio: Perhaps the prototypical example.
- Two Guys and a Girl