Series / The Loop
A short lived comedy series on FOX
airing from 2006 to 2007. The show focuses on Sam Sullivan, a young professional hired straight out of school by an airline company. Initially the focus of the series was Sam balancing his social life with his responsibilities, the second season became a more standardized Work Com
, and most of the non-work cast was written out of the show. This change didn't save the show, and the second season was cut short.
This show provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Sam's crush on Piper.
- Ambiguously Gay: Derek goes out of his way to establish the fact that he is straight. That being said, he does enjoy musical theatre, Sex and the City and is attracted to James Spader. Plus he spanked Sam.
- Catch-Phrase: Darcy's "I went to M.I.T."
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Lizzie and Piper in between the first and second seasons. Particularly jarring because Sam's crush on Piper is the major subplot of the first season.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Sully.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: NOT Meryl.
- Fat Suit: Sam dons one in order to experience what his overweight passengers experience on his planes.
- Genre Shift: Mild example, but between the first and second seasons, the premise of the show was Sam balancing a healthy social life and his job. The second season effectively shifted to a full-fledged Work Com, complete with most of the cast that wasn't affiliated with his job being written out of the show.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Darcy, though Sam isn't incompetent by any means.
- Jerk Ass: Derek Tricoli.
- Long Distance Relationship: Piper, which is part of the reason for her UST with Sam.
- Product Placement: The central theme of one episode.
- Tragically Misguided Favor: In "CSI: Donut Idol Bowl", Sam accidentally causes Darcy to get injured, and tries to make it up to her by submitting one of her drawings to a contest for the company's new mascot... after having Sully alter the drawing to make it more kid-friendly. She is not thrilled about this, especially after her drawing loses to a doodle of a donut.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Thanks to Chuck Cunningham Syndrome, very unresolved.