The Hamster Wheel
is an Australian satirical news and current affairs show produced and broadcast by The ABC
(the Australian one), starting in 2012 and hosted by comedians Andrew Hansen, Dominic Knight, Chas Licciardello, Julian Morrow, Craig Reucassel, and Chris Taylor, collectively known as The Chaser.
The Hamster Wheel provides examples of:
- Gag Sub: North Korea mourns.
- Godwin's Law: referenced whenever someone declares something to be the worst thing ever. Complete with Andrew Hansen in a Hitler costume and a computer-game screen advising how many seconds into the skit the reference took place. 21 seconds!
- Hypocritical Humor: One of the "outrages" in this clip is comedians making "inappropriate" jokes. After the headline "Craig Reucassel apologises for insulting Bali victims", "+ is a scrawny gap-toothed prick" is added in.
- Large Ham: Chas excels in this.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Parodied with obituaries of people who are still alive. Including the head of the ABC, the Federal Leader of the Opposition and the sitting Prime Minister. The first few were prefaced by one of the team supposedly discovering an tweet reporting said person's death, and the obituary would be retracted the following week. By the fourth episode of the series, they stopped bothering.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: From a segment about weather in the media:
Alan Wilkie: Hang on there, why can't we just have a qualfied meteorologist simply explaining the forecast?
Andrew: Well you could Alan - or, you could hire a trampolining dwarf!