Season 1 Castnote The Glee Project
is a Reality Show
that is sort of a spin-off of Glee
. It's a talent competitionnote
for a 7 episode guest role on Glee
. The episodes involve weekly themes for which the contestants get homework. They bring in one of the stars of Glee
to judge the contestants as they perform the homework challenge and choose a winner. The winner gets an advantage in the week's music video, directed by Erik White. The three who do the worst that week do a "last chance performance" for Glee
's Show Runner
Ryan Murphy, choreographer Zach Woodlee, casting director Robert Ulrich, and (in season 2) vocal coach Nikki Anders.
Began its second season in June 2012, two weeks after the finale of Glee
's third season.
Reality TV Tropes at work include:
- Confession Cam: For both the contestants and the judges.
- Elimination Catchphrase: "You have not been called back." Albeit written down as opposed to spoken.
- Elimination Statement: The eliminated contestants give a statement about how much they’ve grown and how this was the best experience of their life. Then, because this is Glee after all, the loser sings “Keep Holding On” while the remaining contestants sing backup.
- Everyone Meets Everyone
- Non-Gameplay Elimination:
- Cameron quit the competition because he felt he wasn't right for the show.
- Taryn left early in the second season after a series of deaths in her family, leaving her in a poor emotional state to continue the competition.
- Only One Name: Even the press release announcing the cast only lists the cast members' first names!
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: Cameron had no idea that, on a show focusing a lot on teenage relationships and sexuality, he might actually have to kiss somebody who isn't his girlfriend.
- Reality TV Show Mansion: Averted. The contestants live in dorms.
- Shocking Elimination: Fans were not pleased with the eliminations of Marissa in episode six and Hannah in episode eight. Particularly because both contestants were fan and judge favorites and who each won that week's challenge.
- Voted off the Island: Nikki Anders, Zach Woodlee, and Robert Ulrich decide who should go out of the bottom three, they then perform for Ryan Murphy who decides who will be cut. The contestants are then presented with a call back list which will have all but one contestant called back.
The Glee Project also contains examples of: