(2009-2012) is a show on MTV, where the lives of four teen mothers are documented. It is notable for turning its cast members into celebrities, leading to Unfortunate Implications
that getting pregnant can make a girl famous.The original Teen Mom
and it's predecessor 16 & Pregnant
has led to spinoffs Teen Mom 2
and Teen Mom 3
Contains examples of:
- Absurdly Youthful Mother
- Abusive Parents: Not any of the teen moms themselves, but some of their parents. The mothers of Catelynn and Farrah come to mind.
- Amicable Exes: Leah and her ex-husband Jeremy are this most of the time.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Averted, though less so than on 16 & Pregnant.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Some of the mothers. Some grow out of it more than others.
- Farrah, in particular, bounces between this and Children Raise You, often within the span of minutes.
- Jenelle. Sadly, as the show has gone on, it's become clear how much deeper her problems go due to mental illness and drug addiction.
- Daddy's Girl: Chelsea and her dad, Randy.
- Amber's daughter Leah and her dad Gary.
- Disappeared Dad:
- The father of Janelle's son Jace has only been seen once on the series and even then only on Skype.
- The father of Farrah's daughter Sophia died in a car crash shortly before she was born, but Farrah, to her credit, makes an effort to teach Sophia about him.
- Domestic Abuse: Amber, toward Gary.
- From Bad to Worse:
- Farrah. First, the father dies in a car crash. She's forced to live with her family, which is less than ideal. Then, we learn her mother is physically abusive. If that wasn't enough, the father's family first tries to prove that he isn't the father and then when the paternity test says he is, immediately sues her for not giving them enough time with the baby. The cherry on top? She wanted an abortion, and it's implied her mother used emotional abuse to make her have the child. How much of this is truth and how much is Manipulative Editing is up to the viewer.
- Not just in the show. From her breast augmentation to making sex-tape and entering rehab, this girl is finding herself in worse and worse trouble in real life.
- Jenelle. She went from a misbehaving teenager to a drug addict and frequent inmate of the local jail.
- Amber. She dealt with a range of issues including depression and lack of education and is currently serving several years in prison after she spiraled in prescription drug abuse.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Critics claim that the show portrays the girls this way, but the moms face a number of problems both in and out of the show. It's up for debate whether this trope is averted or played straight.
- Little Miss Snarker: Farrah's daughter Sophia has shades of this.
- Mandatory Motherhood: It's implied that this was Farrah's situation.
- Missing Mom: Janelle is often this for her son, Jace.
- Not Blood Siblings: After Catelynn and Tyler started dating, his dad started dating her mom.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: Maci's special, Being Maci.
- Spin-Off: Teen Mom 2 and Teen Mom 3. Attempted with a show centered on Maci called Being Maci.
- Spoiled Sweet: Chelsea.
- The Cheerleader: Farrah is implied to have been this in high school.
- Raised by Grandparents: Jenelle's son Jace is raised his grandmother, Barbara.
- What the Hell, Hero?: All of the girls get called out on their bad behavior at some point.