The Witches of Camden
Unable to get a job? The bloke you fancy isn't interested? Microwaved your boss's cat?!! Well, no problem... if you're one of the four Camden Witches, the protagonists of light-hearted supernatural drama series Switch. Broadcast for one series of 6 episodes on ITV 2
between October and November 2012, Switch follows the lives and loves of the so called Camden Witches. Sadly it was confirmed shortly after the first series ended that it would not be coming back for a second series. Stars Lacey Turner, Phoebe Fox, Nina Toussaint-White and Hannah Tointon as the four witches.
This TV show has examples of:
- All Witches Have Cats: Subverted. Stella puts her boss's cat in the microwave.
- Alpha Bitch: Alexa, leader of the Witches of Kensington - the Camden Witches Arch Nemeses
- Artistic License - Religion: The girls are all from Wiccan families. Wicca is synonymous with Witchcraft and they even have a home town where all the witchy Wiccans live!
- Bad Boss: Janet... at least at first. Also Gerry in his first appearance spends his time stoned in the stockroom when he is supposed to be managing a shop.
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: Camden Market. 'Nuff said.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Pretty much any switch (spell) the girls cast.
- Big Bad: The Kensington Witches. Well... sort of.
- British Brevity: Just one series of 6 episodes. Sadly.
- Camp Gay: Aaron, Jude's work buddy at the shop and gay best friend. In case you didn't realise, he's fabulous.
- Derailing Love Interests: Joel goes from sweet guy in Episode 1 to total stalker in Episode 2.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: In the first episode, Jude uses a 'switch' to attract a guy she fancies. And by attract, I mean shag non-stop. She later finds out he's gay, and breaks the spell. (handing him off to her gay best friend in the process)
- The Ditz: Hannah. In the episode where Hannah tutors a young witch she essentialy says all Air-Element Witches are ditzy.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Grace as the youngest of the group is ostensibly the identification character. Hannah is the useless Naive one and The Ditz. Stella is the Deadpan Snarker. And Jude Really Gets Around.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: 2 of the four main girls - Stella and Jude - are better known as Stacey and Syd on Mega-Soap Eastenders. And Stella's boss is better known as Mad May from the same soap. Grace's Mum, Gloria, is played by the much loved and respected, hugely talented and successful actress Caroline Quentin. And she spends most of her time in a home-made cow costume.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jude may be a controlling, domineering, man-eater... a woman who will use magic to get what she wants, be that men or career success, but she loves her friends and will always do the right thing in the end.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The gorgeous and atmospheric theme is "Lions in Cages" by the band Wolf Gang.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Up until the end of the second episode Stella is known for having a stressful job and being the Deadpan Snarker. Then in a casual throw-away line we find out she's a lesbian. The other girls have never treated her any differently from them. So just as it should be.
- Straight Gay: As touched on above, Stella has no obviously lesbian characteristics and unless she is talking about her relationships or with a love interest you'd never know she was gay. Her ex-girlfriend Lucy, however...
- Wizarding School: Well, Summer School at any rate. Any girls born into a witching family are sent to Solstice Camp, where they can learn spells and form their first coven. Also, Hannah provides private tutoring in magic to a witch-girl in one episode.
- Words Do Not Make The Magic: For a spell ('switch') to work, not only do you have to be a witch, but there needs to be four of you, each one representing one of the four 'elements' - Fire (Jude), Water (Grace), Earth(Stella) and Air (Hannah).
- You Need to Get Laid: Grace is very on edge until she tries a confidence spell and steals Jude's latest conquest.