Sorjonen, also known as Bordertown on international markets, is a Finnish detective drama that airs on Tle TV1 and is available for streaming on Netflix.The series focuses on Detective Inspector Kari Sorjonen (Ville Virtanen), a talented if peculiar detective that moves from Helsinki to Lappeenranta, a small town that borders with Russia, after his wife barely survives brain cancer, in order to live a more peaceful life — but things are not actually very peaceful in a town caught between two worlds.
Sorjonen / Bordertown provides examples of the following tropes:
- Brutal Honesty: His speech is rather blunt, whether speaking to people under his command or his superiors.
- Character Tics: Sorjonen tends to make exaggerated hand motions or tap the side of his head and such when trying to remember things using the Memory Palace trick.
- Decoy Protagonist: Or rather Decoy Support Cast. DC Metso, who quits at the end of the first case after being found out to be dirty.
- Defective Detective: Sorjonen is troubled by all the crime he has witnessed as a member of the Finnish National Bureau of Investigation.
- Dirty Cop:
- DC Johanna Metso. She was working with Ahola in trying to keep the heat away from the cabins where the Doll's House prostitution ring was taking place.
- DC Santeri Kaminen, who was using his informants to smuggle drugs from St. Petersburg.
- Fan Disservice: The videos SECRI find on the Doll's House girls. It's meant to be off-putting.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Lena. Particularly since she's former FSB. Upon joining SECRI, she's their most action oriented agent, and still using her unique off-the-book skills while working for SECRI.
- Photographic Memory: Sorta but not quite. Sorjonen uses and tries to train other members of the Serious Crime Unit in the Memory Palace technique.
- Mama Bear: Lena, Katia's Mother. It helps that she's a member of the FSB.
- Mayor Pain: Degerman. He'll do anything to get financial backing for his projects. Including turning a blind eye to a prostitution ring for his investors, and trying to dig up dirt on Sorjonen in order to stop him from investigating.
- Non-Action Guy: DC Niko, at least that's what he wishes to be, but still does competent field work.
- Nordic Noir: An example of it.
- Scenery Porn: As many Nordic Noir series, the scenery is gorgeous to look at.
- Sixth Ranger: Lena Jaakkola, a former Russian FSB agent, joins SECRI, in order to replace the departed DC Metso.
- Sherlock Scan: Comes with the territory for Sorjonen, given his use of the Memory Palace