Series: Redfern Now
Redfern Now is a popular Australian series which focuses on everyday trials that many of us from all walks of life can relate to, including broken families, teenage rebellion, and mental illness. However, it commits to realism over soapboxing or melodrama.It paints an emotional and heartfelt picture of the inner-city struggles of the suburb of Redfern's working-class Australian Aborigines.Each episode focuses on a different family. It premiered on The ABC in November 2012, with ratings close to Home and Away. A second season will air in 2013.
Tropes featured include:
- Big Screwed-Up Family - in the first episode.
- Delinquent - the second episode includes the conflict between unemployed youth and a middle-class 'respectable' family.
- Domestic Abuse - the mother to children kind, although this is because the mother is off her meds.
- Dysfunction Junction - par the course for this type of show.
- Grew a Spine - Grace in the first episode.
- Loveable Rogue - Danny.
- Mama Bear - Grace to her niece and nephew.
- Parental Abandonment - Lily, though only due to her paranoid schitzophrenia.
- Racist Grandma - Corral is an Aboriginal Australian woman who is racist against all Aboriginal men, and wants her granddaughter to marry a hardworking white boy. She actually refuses to talk to her daughter because she married an Aboriginal man, and expresses distaste for Indians, people with poor English, doctors, and, in fact, almost everyone.
- Rule of Three - in the first episode, Grace goes to three sisters to ask for help looking after her niece and nephew. The third accepts the neice only, which doesn't end well.