Providence was an American NBC drama series that ran five seasons from 1999-2002. It centered on Dr. Sydney Hanson, a plastic surgeon who leaves her glamorous practice in Beverly Hills to return to her hometown for her sister's wedding and decides to stay and be closer to her family. It starred Melina Kanakaredes, later of CSI NY fame, and former M*A*S*H actor Mike Farrell as Syd's father. Syd's brother and sister are also present, and Syd frequently gets visits from her late mother's ghost. NBC fully intended to continue the series in 2002 when it ended for a 'winter finale', but there was no choice but to end it permanently when Kanakaredes decided to leave the series.
This show provides examples of:
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Syd's family.
- Black Best Friend: Sydney's fellow doctor at the clinic
- Dead Person Conversation: Syd is visited by her mother, who died in the first episode, quite frequently.
- Dream Intro: Every episode starts this way, with protagonist Syd having a dream featuring her mother who is in limbo.
- Hustler: Syd's little brother.
- Kindly Vet: Syd's dad.
- Medical Drama: What it centered on.
- Parental Favoritism: Syd's siblings think her parents favor her and don't like it.
- Posthumous Character: Sydney's mother
- Real Song Theme Tune: A cover of "In My Life" by The Beatles.
- Sibling Rivalry: Syd and her siblings fight a lot.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Sydney, although that's the common spelling for the female version of the name, with Sidney only being used for males.
- Wedding Day: How the series ends.