was a fairly standard Teen Drama
in the vein of The O.C.
and Dawson's Creek
, with one fairly small difference: the central character?
She's the Antichrist
Having given her dad the slip, a teenage girl named Christina Nickson washes up in the Quirky Town
of Point Pleasant, New Jersey, a place with a dark and mysterious history resulting from the various demonic influences. Unfortunately, her dad is the ultimate Meddling Parent
, and he's sent his various representatives to ensure that her life circumstances inevitably direct her toward growing up to be an Antichrist that Daddy would be proud of
Created by former Buffy
writer Marti Noxon, this supernatural teen drama initially drew in much of that show's fandom and enjoyed a popular premiere. However, Point Pleasant
vibe was drastically different from that of Buffy
, turning off much of the show's built-in audience. The show only made it halfway through its first and only season before falling off the face of the Earth
This show provides examples of:
- The Antichrist: Christina, a rare female example.
- Anti Anti Christ: And she's got a foster family and a Catholic priest trying to keep her from turning evil.
- California Doubling: For New Jersey... and it shows. Point Pleasant is a family-oriented beach resort, has no piers, and about the only thing it shares with Orange County, California is its political conservatism. As a matter of fact, nothing about this show seems to represent any understanding of either the town or the Jersey Shore in general. Local residents — and the entire state for that matter — were not pleased, to say the least.
- Christianity Is Catholic: Although Sarah mentions that the town was founded by Puritans, the only church ever mentioned in the show (and one that is very central to the plot) is Catholic.
- Cosmic Deadline: This arguably worked out for the best. When it became evident that the show was going to be cancelled, the writers started rushing to resolve things, and the results were actually kind of thrilling. Prior to this, the show had featured a demon-sponsored dance-off with the characters facing the horror of... a disco ball coming unscrewed.
- Jesus Taboo: Despite being specifically about the Anti Christ, there is no mention whatsoever of Jesus or of the Second Coming.
- Joisey: It was a big deal in New Jersey that this show was set on the Shore. Then we found out that Hollywood's idea of the Jersey Shore was basically "Southern California, but with lighthouses and boardwalks instead of palm trees."
- Meaningful Name: Christina. And her last name, Nickson, literally means "Nick's son" (or daughter, as is the case here). One of the names Satan is known by is "Old Nick."
- Meddling Parents: Perhaps the ultimate meddling parent.
- Number of the Beast: The strange birthmark on Christina's eye is three sixes merged together into a ring-like shape.
- Sexy Priest: Father Thomas
- Sign of the Apocalypse: It's a joke...I think...
- Supernatural Soap Opera
- Villain Protagonist: Christina at the end of the series.
- Walking Wasteland: Happens briefly to the potted plants in one scene where Christina is walking out of a hospital.
- X Meets Y: Early ads for this show advertised it as "The Omen meets The O.C.," a comparison also used on this very page.
- You Can't Fight Fate