"Fat Pizza pizzas, they're big and they're cheesy."
A cult Australian comedy series created by Paul Fenech, Pizza
is about the local Fat Pizza shop, staffed by a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
like you've never seen. The gang, Pauly, Sleek (Put on a Bus
after The Movie
), Bobo, Habib and others, get into crazy antics involving drugs, police, bikers and even the supernatural. Set in Western Sydney
While rather lowbrow and very, very
Australian, which can cause a lot of values dissonance with international audiences, Pizza
is a satire of lower-class/working-class Australians, and is definitely worth a look. Here is the first episode, and a good spot from there to find different episodes.
Succeeded by Spiritual Successors Swift And Shift Couriers
This show provides examples of
- The Alcoholic: Kev the Kiwi. He often bludges off work to go have a drink.
- Ax Crazy: Bobo. Easily.
- Bad Boss: Bobo, to a near unbelivable (and criminal) degree.
- Beach Episode: A Season 5 episodes, Beach Pizza parts 1 & 2; Also in a Season 3 episode, Cult Pizza.
- Black Comedy: WHERE TO BEGIN!?
- Burger Fool: The main cast work a tedious job for a terrible boss who pays AUS$3 an hour (The minimum wage is AUS$15) and often docks them too for things such a toliet paper.. Yet they still get into some of the craziest adventures.
- Butt Monkey: DJBJ in spades. Pauly gets his fair share of this too.
- The Casanova: Rocky the Lebanese Rambo is this, as he's never seen without a woman in arm.
- Casanova Wannabe: Habib, until Season 4 where he gives up, after he hooks up with Toula.
- Pauly: "Stooge./!" (Same line with his teacher back in the 80's at High School.)
- Habib: "Uleh.", "Oh Mah God."
- Rocky: "Get the cousins!"
- Bobo: "Get to work!", "Shut up!", "Fat Pizza Pizza's, they're big and they're cheesy."
- DJBJ: "You look like a poof, mate.", "DILDO UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!", "Dickheads!"
- Aussie Pub Guy (from Beach Pizza, played by Craig Ward): "LET'S GET 'EM!!!"
- Chainsaw Good: As Pauly tells Davo Dinkum, when Bobo gets out his chainsaw, RUN.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Oh dear God in heaven; yes.
- Corrupt Cop: Murray the Cop, who tries to make Pauly's life a living hell by detaining his cars for false excuses such as 'lacking an anti-hoon emissionary filter'.
- Dumbass DJ: DJBJ, although to be fair, everyone else treats him like crap.
- Five-Man Band: Paulie, Sleek the Elite, Habib Halal Habib, David 'Davo' Dunkum, and Bobo.
- Grumpy Bear: Most of the characters are like this, even for Rocky and Bobo.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: A trait of some of the characters, to parody the nature of Australians themselves.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Australian former international cricketer Merv Hughes plays Ivan Milat in the movie.
- Hot Blooded: Junior sure has a lot of energy for a pizza chef apprentice from the Pacific Isles.
- Jerkass: A lot of the characters come off as this, due to the Comedic Sociopathy nature of the series. Usually Bobo and Rocky though.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The nicer characters tend to be this too. For example, Pauly is an affable person, when he's not beating people up or getting into trouble.
- The Movie: A full length, theater released movie was released in 2003 in Australia, at the height of the series' popularity.
- My Beloved Smother: Bobo's mother is rather controlling of him, although she seems to overlook his psychotic tendencies.
- Put on a Bus: Several characters, from Sleek the Elite to Chong Fat. Unless it's just another bizarre occurrence, DJBJ looked to be heading this way in the Season 5 Finale as well.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
- Stay in the Kitchen: Rocky the Lebanese Rambo has this attitude.
- The Stoner: Davo, oh Gods, Davo.