Gae In gets some loving.Personal Taste
(Hangul: 개인의 취향), also called Personal Preference
, is a Korean Series
that aired March to May 2010 on MBC Network.
Park Gae In is the daughter of a famous architect, living in the unique family home named "Sanggojae" and making a modest living by designing and building furniture.
Jeon Jin Ho is a workoholic architect who longs to beat the Han Family, who took over his house and family business after his father's death. In order to gain a competitive edge in a race to design the new Dahm Art Center, Jin Ho manages to gain access to Sanggojae by pretending to be a homosexual boarder.
At the other end of the spectrum is Han Chang Ryul, the cad ex-boyfriend of Gae In, who runs the rival architect firm that is also in the running for the Arts Center.
The series contains examples of:
- Accidental Public Confession: Inverted. During a wedding, the one doing the confessing is not the actual guilty party but the victim (Gae In) and her friend, being broadcast over the microphone that the friend's kid has turned up. Needless to say, it's tremendously effective in spoiling the wedding.
- Accidental Pervert: Gae In/Jin Ho's first meeting.
- The Beard: Subverted, in that Gae initially thinks when hearing his admission that he's straight, that he's just saying it on behalf of his mother. She resolves to act the part anyway.
- Big Damn Kiss: Two Words: "Game Over"
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Kim In Hee.
- Bridal Carry: When Gae In gets really drunk, Jin Ho carries her home.
- Break the Cutie: When Gae In's basement is revealed she gets back certain memories, like that she was in a glass section of the house that fell on her mother.
- Butt Monkey: Gae In, who racks up a lot of False Friends, can't even get her father's approval. One of her best friends betrays her and (tries to) marry her boyfriend. And another one tries to rape her. And this is all in the first episode! To top it off, she thinks she killed her mother.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Jin Ho to Gae In's father
- The Cameo: Yoon Eun Hye plays Jin Ho's ex in episode 8. note
- Camp Gay: No Sang Joon plays with this trope.
- Camp Straight: The main reason Jin Ho gets Mistaken for Gay in the first place.
- Companion Cube: Gae In frequently talks, hugs (and hangs) a stuffed lion named... Ji No.
- Creepy Basement: At least to Gae In.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Gae In.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Gae In's mother. Jin Ho's father.
- Disappeared Dad: Park Chul Han (to Gae In), for most of the series.
- Epunymous Title: The word "개인의"('Gae In Ui') means individual/one's personal. "의" (Ui) added to the end of a word shows possession (like the English suffix "s"), so "개인의" ('Gae In Ui') also means "Gae In's." The title can be translated as "Gae In's Taste/Preference."
- Everyone Can See It: This line concerning Jin Ho and Gae In.
Lee Young Sun: "They are... no... it's impossible, right?"
Sang Joon: "They are a match." (Beat
Lee Young Sun: "What?"
Sang Joon: "I mean the pigeons. They flew away already."
- Extreme Doormat: Gae In, at least for a better part of the first episode. She basically apologizes to everyone for existing.
- False Friend: Lee Won Ho. Kim In Hee.
- First Name Basis: Jin Ho calls his mother by her first name.
- Gender-Bender Friendship: Kind of. Gae In thinks Jin Ho is gay.
- Also, Young Sun and Sang Joon.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Played with here, considering the nature of this show. Jin Ho is asked by his mother where Eun Mi is. "Isn't she still in Canada?" he says.
- Has Two Mommies: Chang Ryul has SEVEN stepmoms from his father's numerous divorces.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Lee Young Sun and Gae In.
- Hysterical Woman:
- Na Hye Mi
- And man. Kim Tae Hoon, who's in love with Hye Mi, can't stand how Jin Ho treats her.
- Implausible Deniability: After Jin Ho's initial reasons for living in Sanggojae are revealed and Gae In refuses to believe that he didn't care for her, he repeatedly insists that he was just using her.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: In one episode, Jin Ho and Gae In are watching TV. The program on is about how "most of the salt in a home is in food." Gae In comments about how maybe they should have brought a video or something. That said, virtually every other channel is about sex.
- Innocent Cohabitation: At least, at first.
- Jerkass Boyfriend: Chang Ryul. He admits to Gae In (after they've broken up) at forgetting dates and birthdays, leaving her hanging on more than one occasion, and taking her for granted.
- The Lad-ette: Gae In, to a lesser extent.
- Love Triangle: Too many, but the noteworthy ones are ...
- Tae Hoon -> Na Hye Mi -> Jin Ho
- Gae In <-> Jin Ho <- Do Bin
- Mistaken for Gay: Jin Ho, who allows the misunderstanding for the sake of staying at Sanggojae
- No Periods, Period: Averted
- One Degree of Separation: Gae In's "boyfriend" is Jin Ho's business rival.
- Only Friend: Young Sun is Gae In's only true friend. Until Jin Ho comes along.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- After Chang Ryul "discovers" Jin Ho is gay, Gae In gives one to Chang Ryul for claiming Jin Ho was not a "real man."
- Jin Ho gives a lovely one to Gae In's father.
Jin Ho: In my opinion, you've transferred your guilt to your own daughter.
Chul Han: What an arrogant rascal! How can you say that when you don't know anything? Leave!
Jin Ho: You rejected Tam Art Center Project because Sanggojae was a failed piece of design, didn't you?
Chul Han: Sanggujae is a place which let my wife and child build their dreams.
Jin Ho: But this place made you lose your wife forever and hurt your daughter's heart. Do you know exactly what makes Sanggojae a failure? It's you.
- Shout-Out: A cameo character is named "Goo Jun Pyo," which was actor Lee Min Ho's breakout role in Boys Before Flowers. He plays the main guy Jin Ho in this series.
- Straight Gay: Choi Do Bin.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Jin Ho has a problem spitting it out, and basically lets this trope decide his answer.
- Umbrella of Togetherness: A rainy scene. Gae In hasn't the sense to bring one, so this scene also involves an Improvised Umbrella.
- The Vamp: Kim In Hee, who sees seduction as a power ploy.
- We Named the Monkey Jack: Gae In's stuffed teddy, Ji No
- "Well Done, Son" Guy (and Gal): Han Chang Ryul. Gae In.