Welcome to the center of the ESPN newsroom, here in Bristol, Conneticut!
The newest member of ESPN's "sportswriters yack about sports" group along with with Around the Horn, Dan LeBatard is Highly Questionable, Jim Rome is Burning, Pardon The Interruption and SportsNation, Numbers Never* Lie focuses on the statistics side of sports.Originally Hosted by Charissa Thompson and infrequent Around the Horn panelist Michael Smith. After Thompson left to replace Michelle Beadle on SportsNation NNL has since been hosted by Michael Smith, Jalen Rose, Hugh Douglas, and Rob Parker. Later Jemele Hill would take over co-hosting duties with Smith, eventually leading to a show re-branding (See below).Segments in this show include some variation of "X or Y" - including Michael's favorite "Over/Under", plus the show-ending "Numbers You Need To Know," which runs down the good and bad numbers of the day.On November 3, 2014, Numbers Never* Lie was re-branded as His & Hers, matching the name of Smith and Hill's ESPN podcast and focusing more on general sports talk.Needs More Examples.
Tropes in this series include:
- Artifact Title: Given that the show dumped its focus on analytics even Smith himself thinks that the title no longer makes sense. Worry no more, as the show is being renamed His & Hers (alluding to the hosts' podcast) on November 3, 2014
- Ascended Extra: As mentioned before, Michael Smith.
- Catch Phrase / Title Drop: Charissa says "Numbers never lie" going into commercial breaks and to end the show.
- Good with Numbers: Smith and the guys from Football Outsiders who drop in every now and then.
- Guest Host: Amazingly for an ESPN talk show, subverted as of yet.
- Don't Shoot The Messenger!: A show segment with a football statistician (Usually from Football Outsiders during the NFL season) acting as the "messenger."
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Michael tried to do this as a response to the Broncos upsetting the Steelers. Unfortunately for him, the higher-ups at ESPN told him to appear on the show anyway.