Series: Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger
aka: Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger
"Unknown to the people, Ninpū Sentai Hurricaneger
Unknown to the world,
Striking at evil from the midst of shadows!"
("Stealth Wind Squadron Hurricaneger"note
) is the twenty-sixth installment in the Super Sentai
series, airing from 2002 to 2003.
Upon the graduation day of Hayate Way Ninja Academy, an alien ninja clan called the Jakanja descend on the school and kill the entire student body. The only survivors are three students who happened to be elsewhere doing remedial training.
Out of desperation, the three students are given the school's greatest honour so they can fight against the Jakanja: the power to become Hurricanger.
Adapted into Power Rangers Ninja Storm
. In 2013, a V-Cinema "10 Years Later" special
was released, reuniting the team against a new enemy - Hurricane Dark.
- Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger: The greatest warriors of Hayate Ninja Academy. Uh, by default. To cover up their ninja identity, they blend in the society taking up normal jobs.
- Yōsuke Shina / Air Ninja, Hurricane Red: Idiot Hero, Determinator. Uses the guise of a cleaning worker when not doing ninja stuffs.
- Nanami Nono / Water Ninja, Hurricane Blue: The Chick. Her 'spare time' guise is an Idol Singer.
- Kōta Bitō / Land Ninja, Hurricane Yellow: Big Smart Guy. When not doing ninja things, he works in a daycare center, taking care of mostly the elderly.
- Denkosekka Gouraiger: A rival team to the Hurricanger. The Gouraiger are two brothers who are the only survivors of Ikazuchi Ninja Academy, a rival school to Hayate. Both disguise themselves as construction workers.
- Ikkō Kasumi / Horned Ninja, Kabuto Raiger: The Lancer.
- Isshu Kasumi / Fanged Ninja, Kuwaga Raiger: The Heart.
- Heaven Ninja, Shurikenger: A mysterious ninja who can really blend into the crowd; has a disposition for Gratuitous English.
- Tau Zantnote : The Big Bad.
- The Seven Spears of Darkness:
Recurring Super Sentai tropes:
- All Your Powers Combined: The team cannon, per usual.
- Triple Gadget: Combination of the Hurricanger's weapons. There are three possible arrangements of it, each with a different effect.
- Double Gadget: Combination of the Gouraiger's weapons.
- Victory Gadget: Combination of all of the above, once the Hurricangers and Goraigers work together.
- Final Gadget: Combination of all of the above and the Ninja Misen in Ten Years After.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": "H" is for Hurricaneger.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Ninpuu - Shinobi Change!"
- "Jinrai - Shinobi Change!" for Goraigers.
- And "Tenkuu - Shinobi Change!" for Shurikenger.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Combination Attack: Chō Ninpō: Kage no Mainote
- Cool Bike: The Bari Thunder bikes for the Goraigers. The Hurricanegers themselves rode horses or used hang gliders called Wingers.
- Crossover: Hurricaneger vs. Gaoranger this year, and they do it again with Abaranger next year, as is tradition.
- Custom Uniform: The uniforms look the same, except for stripes in your ranger color.
- Finishing Move
- Five-Man Band: The team solidifies with the addition of Ikkou and Isshu.
- Home Base
- Humongous Mecha
- A Mech by Any Other Name: The Shinobi Machines, which were all Animal Mecha (except for the Tenkujin).
- Combining Mecha: One for the Hurricanegers and another for the Goraigers.
- Hurricane Hawk + Hurricane Leon + Hurricane Dolphin = Senpūjin, which can transform into a lighter version called the Senpūjin Hurrier
- Gorai Beetle + Gorai Stag = Gōraijin
- Transforming Mecha: The Tenkūjin could transform between a robot or a helicopter.
- Mecha Expansion Pack: In addition to the Gōraijin and the Tenkūjin, which could combine with the Senpūjin or with themselves, the team also has the Revolver Mammoth, an animal mecha that launched "Karakuri Balls", which were capsules that stored additional parts for any of the above mechas. Karakuri Balls No. 7 and 8 could combine into a support robot called Fūraimaru, while Balls No. 15, 16 and 17 formed an animal mecha called the Tricondor. The Revolver Mammoth also served as a steed for the Gōrai Senpūjin or the Tenrai Senpūjin.
- Senpūjin + Gōraijin = Gōrai Senpūjin
- Senpūjin + Tenkūjin = Tenkū Senpūjin
- Gōraijin + Tenkūjin = Tenkū Gōraijin
- Gōrai Senpūjin + Revolver Mammoth = Revolver Gōrai Senpūjin
- Gōrai Senpūjin + Tricondor + Tenkūjin = Tenrai Senpūjin
- Tenrai Senpūjin + Revolver Mammoth = Revolver Tenrai Senpūjin
- Gōrai Senpūjin - Gorai Stag + Gao Shark + Gao Tiger + Gao Elephant = Gōrai Senpūjin Sword & Shield
- Gōrai Senpūjin - right arm + Tenkūjin = Tenkū Gōrai Senpūjin
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each episode is called a "Scroll"; titles are in "<Noun1> and <Noun2>"note format.
- In the Name of the Moon: The series' roll calls must be the longest ones in Super Sentai, considering each group has their own. But in retrospect, they're pretty awesome, owing to the poetic lines.
- The Hurricangers:
Yosuke: "The wind howls, the sky rages; Air Ninja, Hurricane Red!"
Nanami: "The water dances, the waves jump; Water Ninja, Hurricane Blue!"
: "The ground quivers, the flowers bloom; Land Ninja, Hurricane Yellow
Yosuke: "Unknown to the people."
Nanami: "Unknown to the world."
Kouta: "Striking at evil from the midst of shadows!"
Yosuke: "Ninpuu Sentai..."
Yosuke: "... has arrived!"note
- The Goraigers:
Ikkou: "The darkness I face, the darkness I slice!"
Isshu: "The light I face, the light I slice!"
Ikkou: "The crimson lightning; Horned Ninja, Kabuto Raiger!"
: "The azure thunderclap; Fanged Ninja, Kuwaga Raiger
Both: "Goraigers, at lightningspeed - arrived!"note
: "I am Ninja of Ninja
. The luminous green bullet; Heavenly Ninja, Shurikenger
- Make My Monster Grow: A couple of methods, actually:
- If the monster was from Chuuzubo's private reserves, he'd load a scroll into Wendinu's bazooka, which she fired down to the destroyed monster on Earth.
- However, if one of the monsters came from Sargain's group, he'd have Wendinu send down a "Copy Giant", a cybernetic torpedo that copied the monster's data and transformed itself into a duplicate of said monster.
- Finally, if Satarakura was responsible for the evil plan of the week, Wendinu would send down a mask that, for all intents and purposes, did the same thing that Chuuzubo's scroll did, except it was a lot creepier.
- Mooks: The Magerappers; aliens with a knot of "hair" constantly in "rapping" motion. ...Don't ask.
- The Movie: Hurricaneger: Shushuuto The Movie
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase
- The Smurfette Principle: Hurricane Blue, a member of the main trio, who serves as Super Sentai's third female blue.
- Super Mode: Shurikenger Fire Mode, a rare Sentai moment where the Sixth Ranger gets the super mode instead of the main team.
- Supervillain Lair
- Theme Music Power-Up
- Transformation Trinket
- Hurricangers: Hurricane Gyro
- Gouraigers: Gourai Changer
- Shurikenger: Shuriken Ball
- Weapon of Choice
Tropes specific to Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger:
- Arc Number: Ten Years After has...well, 10.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In episode 34 Wendinu grew to giant size after her monster was destroyed (and tricked by Shurikenger). She defeats the Hurricanger and Goraiger with ease.
- Or she would've, had she not spotted the guy she developed a crush on (Yoshihiro Masujima in a special appearance) and left the fight.
- Becoming the Mask: Literally with Shurikenger, check out his backstory.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Both of the Goraigers have one, in which the morals that their father taught them were rage and hatred. They later find out that their father wanted them to fight each other in a death match in order for "that" to be born.
- Day of the Week Name: Each of the main Jakanja fit.
- Designated Girl Fight: Episode 6 and 30.
- Disney Death: Yousuke in episode 32. Shurikenger in episode 49, who is revealed to have survived in Abaranger vs. Hurricanger. Also, the Goraigers were thought to be dead in episode 50, but appear alive before the Hurricangers in episode 51 to battle against the evil force.
- Though the Ten Years After special implies that Shurikenger might have survived in the VS universe, but not the Hurricaneger universe, as someone else becomes Shurikenger. In addition, Furabijo appears despite her death in Boukenger vs. Super Sentai.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Kouta's Chō Ninpō: Mai Jishinote
- Elemental Powers
- Eyed Screen: Well, with visors, usually when a finisher is used. This is because most of the time the Rangers are all in different cockpits, even when combined. But even in Tenraisenpuujin with everyone in one room, usually everyone's mask shot appears in a pattern around Shurikenger.
- Freudian Trio
- Id: Yousuke
- Ego: Nanami
- Superego: Kouta
- Gratuitous English: Shuriken loves this. "HAY! STOP! EVERYBAADY!" It's a hint that a certain someone is Shurikenger in disguise. When he's disguised as a shrine caretaker (played by Kenji Ohba), then reveals himself, Kouta laments that he should've seen it coming, because the caretaker spews Gratuitous English.
- Heel-Face Turn: Ikkou and Isshu: C'mon, we all saw that coming.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Averted some because of Oboro's robots that erase the memories of anybody who sees Hurricanger in action.
- Homage: Hurricaneger pays tribute to Choujuu Sentai Liveman (the 1988 Sentai series) in many ways. It's the first Sentai series since Liveman to start off with three main members, the blue ranger is also a girl, the three main characters are students of an elite academy, their animal motifs are identical (hawk, lion, and dolphin), two extra members are introduced mid-series (plus a third one), and the villains of both teams keep track of their members' performance.
- Hour of Power: Senpujin's Super Mode lasts only for a minute.
- Idiot Hero: Of course every of the Hurricanegers can count, but Nanami grew out of it quick. Yosuke is the traditional one.
- Idol Singer: Nanami. She has many trials and tribulations with this, including forming a girl group with Furabijou at one point. When she returns in Boukenger vs Super Sentai, she's achieved some degree of success.
- If It's You, It's Okay: After Furabijo says she'd like to be Sandaaru's girlfriend, Satarakura (who's a guy) says he'd like to be it too. It seems to be more driven by admiration of Sandaaru than sexual orientation.
- Karma Houdini: Sure, they might get beaten up a little and humiliated, but Wendinu and Furabijo have never been killed in the Hurricaneger universe. In the VS universe, however, Furabijo's dead, but Wendinu...
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Oboro has a robotic squad specilized in this so that civilians won't know of the Hurricangers' exploits.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Furabijo and Wendinu respectively.
- Mythology Gag: The main trio borrows heavily from Choujuu Sentai Liveman in many aspects, such as the animal motif (red hawk, yellow lion, blue dolphin), being the last survivors of a special academy, and having slightly similar names (Yuusuke and Yousuke, Megumi and Nanami, Jou and Kouta).
- Gouraisenpuujin is thus one to Super Live Robo, in that it involves two robots combining into one and both having lion heads on their chests and the legs of one of the robots becoming the arms of the combined form.
- There's also similarities to Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, the previous round of ninjas. The roll call is very similar, and the rangers are in separate cockipits even in the combined mecha (except one), like the Kakurangers were with the Hidden Great General (Kakure Daishogun).
- Official Couple: Nanami and Isshu ...
- The Power of Rock: The Ninjamisen, a combination guitar/gun. Shurikenger gets the most usage out of it, but episode 35 sees the entire team give it a go.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: A triple slash of the Hurricanegers are usually accompanied with "HU-RRI-CANE!"
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Hurricanegers are actually bottom of the class students. The only reason they made the team is everyone else was killed by Jakanja in the first episode. This doesn't apply to the Gouraigers.
- Shout-Out: The Hurricanegers' roll calls are all styled after kabuki theater. Satarakura is also based on a kabuki performer.
- Sizeshifter: Ikkou's Chō Ninpō: Maboroshi Kabutonote
- Spit Take: Done by Ikkou when Isshu asked him about love.
- Super Mode: "Senpujin HurriUp!"
- Senpuujin Hurrier is a rare example of a Super Mode making the robot smaller since it increases Senpuujin's speed.
- Team Pet: Mugensai spends most of the show as a hamster thanks to carelessly mispronouncing a ninpo.
- Theme Naming: The Seven Spears are all named after days of the week:
- Sandaaru: Sunday
- Manmaruba: Monday
- Chuzubo: Tuesday
- Wendinu: Wednesday
- Sargain: Thursday
- Furabijo: Friday
- Satarakura: Saturday
- The taking first syllable of the three main Hurricaneger's family names gives you Shinobi.
- Three Plus Two Plus One
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Oboro (Ms. Fix It who usually indulges in geeky activities) and Nanami (Idol Singer who likes cute things, cooks well, etc). Even if Nanami is the one doing all the fighting.
- The Unexpected: What toku movies will be released in 2013: A Go-Busters movie, a Kyoryuger movie, some Wizard movies, Super Hero Taisen Z... wait, a Hurricaneger reunion movie?
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Yousuke's Chō Ninpō: Maboroshi Hengenote
- Walk on Water: Nanami's Chō Ninpō: Minamo Bashirinote
- Evil Laugh: So many.... Not only is it Tau Zanto's habit, but pretty much all the other Seven Dark Spears have an opportunity to give in to wicked mirth.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The last we see of Wendinu and Furabijo was in Abaranger vs Hurricaneger, where they're transported to Dino Earth and apparently stuck there. Furabijo then got called by Chronos in Boukenger vs Super Sentai (we don't know how a living Furabijo was pulled out of Dino Earth by Chronos' method of resurrecting dead villains) and instantly got her life sacrificed. Wendinu... nobody heard about her.
- Now both Wendinu and Furabijo will return in the "10 Years After" special.
- Now that the special is out, it seems that it confirms the theory that each season is in a separate universe save for Denjiman and Sun Vulcan, with crossovers in a second universe. Furabijo is never stated to have died and Wendinu's last known whereabouts being another dimension goes unmentioned, meaning both have been out of sight for ten years. Oh, and in case you're wondering, both are perfectly fine at the end of the special.
- X Meets Y: Ninja Sentai Kakuranger meets Choujuu Sentai Liveman.