Series / Mystery Hunters
Our intrepid Mystery Hunters and Doubting Dave.
"Remember, things aren't always what they seem!"
is a Discovery Kids program starring Araya Mengesha and Christina Broccolini, two teens who investigate mysteries of things that go bump in the night and try to find both the rational scientific explanation and the mysterious explanations of the unknown. Their investigations have included ghosts, aliens, vampires, werewolves and so on. In his own segment, David Acer AKA Doubting Dave explains situations scientifically and shows you labs of how to create your own experiments and craft projects based on the mystery of the week.
It has an Indian counterpart called, naturally, "Mystery Hunters India."
Tropes used by Mystery Hunters:
- Agent Scully: Doubting Dave, Araya, and Christina all have this as their default mode.
- Alien Abduction: A frequent subject.
- Cat Scare: One episode featured a viewer ask about a plane he saw go into a cloud and not come back out; an annoying news crew interrupts Dave before he can answer, instead sending Captain Ben Bishop (who spoke with an inexplicable Sean Connery accent) into the cloud. He reports something coming right for him as static engulfs the radio...only for it to turn out to be a Bee in the cockpit.
- Doppelgangers: Investigated.
- Edutainment Show
- Fanservice: Yes, even in this show. As Christina Broccolini matured physically, her outfits went from casual t-shirts and regular jeans to painted-on pants and tight tank tops that hugged every curve.
- Foregone Conclusion: Everything has a rational explanation. There are never any supernatural events without a mundane explanation. No matter how afraid the hosts act while it's happening.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Sometimes, the hosts would be unable to conclusively explain everything rationally, leaving the possibility of the supernatural.
- Near-Death Experience: Dave went into some pretty good detail describing how this works.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The lead up to the Tom Thomson segment started off talking about his ghost...only for the vast majority of it being an investigation into Thomson's death, the ghost hardly being brought up.
- No Ending: Most of the investigations are often left unsolved.
- One We Prepared Earlier
- Pungeon Master: Dave and Araya both get groans.
- Scare Chord: Added to personal accounts
- Science Show
- Unnaturally Blue Lighting: Used for a "creepy" effect with personal accounts.
- You Look Like You've Seen a Ghost!