Series / My Super Sweet Sixteen
My Super Sweet 16
was an MTV reality show
that ran from 2005-2008 about teenagers' sweet 16 birthday parties. Despite its name, it has also featured other coming-of-age birthdays such as the Quincenera (turning 15 in Hispanic culture), 18, and 21 during MTV's annual Spring Break
week. But rather than just a backyard barbecue or renting out a party hall with their families and friends, the kids featured in this show come from wealthy families, and their parties are an outlandishly decadent extravaganza, complete with high-profile musicians as performers, luxury sports cars as gifts, over a hundred of their peers
turning out, and so on. Expect to see these kids cry, scream, swear, and berate their parents over every little detail about the party. Excerpts have been used in North Korean
propaganda videos about the supposed decadence of the West.
The show aired during MTV's "Bling-Bling" era, where series like MTV Cribs
(showing off the homes of young celebrities), Pimp My Ride
(where beater cars are given rap-video makeovers), and various one-shot specials glamorized the lives of the wealthy, or at least their material excesses. However, the Great Recession of 2008 and the Occupy Movement of the early 2010's pretty much killed off interest in watching some teenage girl cry because she wanted to receive her sports car during
her party and not the day before. In fact, My Super Sweet 16
is considered by many the point where MTV was oversaturated with these kinds of shows. As you can imagine, the series became prime parody bait, and even MTV got in on making fun of it. The first is My Super Psycho Sweet 16
, a series of made-for-TV slasher movies
in which expies
of the kids are gleefully taken down by serial killers, and Exiled
, another reality show in which the parents of former Sweet 16
stars, fed up with their kids' behavior, send them off overseas so that they can find out what it's really
like to go without.
Tropes related to the show:
- Alpha Bitch: What the show is basically based around.
- Cool Car: It's their sixteenth birthday, so naturally its what they all want.
- One girl was pranked with a used minivan before being given the blinged-out Range Rover she wanted.
- Cool Crown: If the party is princess themed, expect the birthday girl to have a huge sparkly one.
- Doting Parent: Deconstructed. This trope is why the kids turn out to be self-centered, overindulged brats.
- Entitled Bastard: To such a degree that at least one commentator has speculated that they represent the end of western civilisation itself.
- Fiction500: Gowns, jewels, parades of limos, extravagant venues, gourmet food, famous guests, world class entertainment- the works.
- It's All About Me: Fuckin' A!
- Pimped-Out Dress: What all the girl wear to their parties. One girl got a dress so huge she had to stand on ten foot tall mechanical platform to wear it. note
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Sweet Sixteen" by Hilary Duff.
- Rich Bitch: What the girls inevitably grow into.
- Spoiled Brat: See Alpha Bitch.
- Ungrateful Bastard: As a spin-off of the It's All About Me going on.
- One girl screamed and had a hissy-fit when her mother got her the expensive car she wanted. The reason is the girl had wanted to receive the car at her party, but instead got it the day before. See Joel McHale's reaction.