1989-1993 teen/family drama notable for having a major character with Down's syndrome (Corky), and one with AIDS (Jesse). The whole show was kind of one big Very Special Episode. The main character, Becca, was Corky's sister and Jesse's girlfriend.Not to be confused with Empty Nest, which aired around the same time, with a theme song entitled "Life Goes On". Nor should it be confused with Life Goes On, an indie game available on Steam.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Corky expresses in the third season, how he'll never forget how Tyler was the only person who didn't make fun of him when he first started high school.
- Cool Big Sis: Paige is this to Corky
- Darker and Edgier / Tone Shift: Over the course of the four seasons, the show shifted from being a reasonably light-hearted family drama focusing on Corky to a rather angsty romantic drama between Jesse and Becca. The peppy opening song remains the same, however, which is jarring particularly in the episodes with a dark or upsetting opening scene.
- Deadpan Snarker (Becca)
- Flash Forward: Done in the first ("Bec to the Future") and last episodes of the final season, with Becca serving as narrator.
- Good Parents: Drew and Libby are portrayed as this
- Forget To Feed The Dog: The opening titles feature the family all getting ready for the day, with no one remembering to feed the dog, who sits forlornly with his bowl in his mouth as everyone runs by. Viewers actually wrote letters to complain, and in the series finale, a bag of dog food falls out of a nearby cabinet and Arnold finally has breakfast.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Corky at the start of the series. This changes in the later seasons when along with the shows tone shift and his reaching adulthood he develops his interests and makes his decisions despite the initial dismay of his parents. To the surprise of characters who first get to know Corky, they realize he is as flawed and human as everybody else.
- Lovable Jock: Tyler, Corky's friend, and Becca's first boyfriend
- Meganekko: Becca until Season 3
- Mistaken for Gay: A rather harsh version in "Incident on Main," when Jesse is beaten up after leaving the AIDS hospice center.
- The Movie Buff: Corky to the point where he can reenact scenes from films like Casablanca. In the third season, he pursues and successfully lands an ushering job at a movie theater that shows classic films.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The Beatles' "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da", sung by the cast members.
- Trash the Set: Corky accidentally causes the destruction of his father's recently opened diner, and it remains that way for several episodes until it is rebuilt.
- Vacation Episode: In the second season premiere, "Honeymoon From Hell," the family takes a trip to Hawaii. (Lost fans will recognize the Byodo-In Temple, where Sun and Jin were married.)