"My name is Katie Morag Mc-Coll, and I live on the Island of Struay. I suppose it's quite wee, but it's ginormous to me, and everyone looks out for me when I'm out and about having my adventures."Katie Morag
— opening narration
is a Scottish children's show first broadcast on British children's channel CBeebies
in 2013, and is based on the beloved series of picture books by Mairi Hedderwick. It follows the young girl of the title as she lives and learns
on the tiny Scottish island of Struay.
The series was released both in English and with a Scottish Gaelic dub.
This show provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Often one at the end of an episode. It is a kid's show, after all.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Liam and Flora are this from time to time, at least in Katie Morag's eyes.
- Book Worm: Katie Morag can frequently be seen carrying a book.
- Catch Phrase: For Katie Morag, it's the word 'fabbydoo' to describe anything good. For her mum, it's "Your room's an absolute midden", or some variation thereof.
- Chekhov's Gun: Well, Chekhov's rainbow, in Katie Morag and the Grumpy Grannie.
- Christmas Special: Katie Morag and the New Year Party, though New Year is referred to in the episode by the Scottish term Hogmanay.
- Cool Big Sis: Katie Morag has her moments.
- Doting Grandparent: Granny Island. Granma Mainland has her moments. As does Neilly Beag, though he's not actually related to Katie Morag.
- Fiery Redhead: Katie Morag can be quite headstrong.
- Good Parents: Mr and Mrs Mc Coll.
- Iconic Item: Katie Morag's wellies. As seen in her Costume Test Montage, she has a lot of pairs of them, and they are the only shoes she ever wears, even when going to a wedding.
- Neilly Beag's red bobble hat, which he's never seen without.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Katie Morag experiences this after she kicks her teddy into the sea in Katie Morag and the Tiresome Ted.
- Nice Shoes: Granma Mainland is characterised by her preference for good shoes.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Granny Island and Granma Mainland.
- It later emerges that Granny Island's real name is Izzy.
- Sibling Rivalry: Katie Morag feels ignored when baby Flora is born, so much so that she kicks her beloved teddy into the sea. She regrets it later.
- Technology Marches On: Defied. In the episode Katie Morag and the Wedding, Katie Morag writes a letter to Granma Mainland. She quickly points out, in voiceover, that she could have sent an email, but that Granma Mainland likes getting handwritten letters. Since the first books were published in The Eighties, and the show itself has a somewhat ambiguous time setting, this may have been added in to indicate that the show does in fact take place in present day.
- Token Minority: Sasha, who appears to be the only non-white person on the island.
- Zany Scheme: Katie Morag has to keep some guests distracted in the episode Katie Morag and the Baking Day Secret.