Super 1 and his rather pimped-out ride.Kamen Rider Super-1
is the seventh Kamen Rider
series lasting from 1980-1981. The title Rider is Kazuya Oki, an astronaut who is rebuilt by NASA into "Super-1", as a space exploration and development cyborg without the need for bulky external gear. But the Dogma terrorist group attacks just as NASA is putting Super-1 through tests; everyone except Kazuya are killed. Unable to transform of his own volition, Kazuya escapes to Japan, where he trains in martial arts, eventually using it to replace the external henshin command — and getting some fighting skill in the process.
Now not so much a dude with a built-in spacesuit as a force of two-fisted (and -legged!) justice, he goes after Dogma. He fights Jin Dogma, a second group, later on.
Kamen Rider Super-1 provides examples of the following tropes:
- Arm Cannon: Green Hand is a pair of Flame Thrower and Ice Thrower. Blue Hand is Thunder shooter.
- Artistic License - Martial Arts: Avoided when possible — the Sekishin-Shourinken* , while invented for the show, is as efficient as they can make it.
- Badass: Kazuya Oki/Kamen Super-1, obviously. He learned how to transform by beating one hundred martial artist and proceed to kick ass throughout the entire series.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Yes, Super-1 has the Five Hand System, and yes, he's a cyborg on a bike. But he doesn't actually need them. This guy learned how to transform by beating his way through a hundred martial artists...
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Justified, as Kazuya was enhanced for deep space travel.
- Battle Amongst the Flames: The first fight in the series amid the exploding NASA base.
- Cool Bike: Super-1 actually has two bikes — a Suzuki and a Harley Davidson, the "Blue Version" and the "V-Machine" respectively. The Blue Version is better at rough roads and general agility, while the V-Machine is better at flat-out speed and can transform into the even faster "V-Jet".
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Shunsuke Takasugi sings the opening and first ending, as well as a few image songs - apparently, he wanted to be a singer growing up.
- Don't Think. Feel: Kazuya learns much of his fighting skills in such a way.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Master Genkai Roshi, unlike Benkei (see below), dies a very anticlimatic death moments later, he trips over an explosion caused by Kaiser Crow (Terror Macro) and dies. You don't even think he's dead until you see Kazuya's reaction to this.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Benkei, the other Badass Normal in Kazuya's martial arts school, saves him from some Dogma archers, however, this causes him to take a lot of arrows, which kill him.
- Expy: Genjiro "I'm not Tachibana, really!" Tani is still around.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: If the Five Hand System doesn't utilize Power Fist, it utilizes this.
- Meaningful Name: Benkei is named after a mythical Japanese warrior-monk who also died by getting shot full of arrows.
- Multiform Balance: We won't get full suit changes 'til Black Rx, but this is the first series to give the hero different modes. The Five Hands system allows his gloves to take different forms allowing for different powers:
- Super Hands are his silver default, allowing for Super Strength as he uses his martial arts might.
- Elek Hands shoot beams of lightning.
- Power Hands allow him to lift over fifty tons!
- Thermal Hands give him a freezing spray from his left and a flame blast from his right.
- Radar Hands let him send a device into the air that lets him scan for miles. It's not much good in combat but it's one of his best tools.
- Power Fist / Swiss Army Appendage: The Five Hands System gives him five types of Power Fist!
- Shooting Superman: Akuma Teitoku's final plan to kill Super-1? He locks him in a sealed room and sucks out all the air, therefore suffocating him to death. This lasts for all of 3 minutes, since Super-1 was originally built to do stuff in the vacuum of space, ya dope!
- Shown Their Work: Informed that the show was going to have a heavy martial arts theme, the face actor* and the suit actor* trained in kung fu to get the Sekishin-Shourinken to come across properly.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Radar Hand. It serves as a radar, which won't be useful in fights. Subverted that the only thing to make it useful is combat is to use it as a rocket launcher.
- It's basically what Fourze's Radar Switch is based on. Most notably, he can send up a small camera-like "radar" device that shows him what's going on for miles. It may not be a weapon but it's one of his most useful tools.
- You No Take Candle: Americans speaking Japanese and not much English?