Series: Hart to Hart
"This is my boss — Johnathan Hart. A self-made millionaire! He's quite a guy. This is Mrs. H. She's gorgeous! She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself.note Oh, by the way, my name is Max, I take care of both of them. Which ain't easy! 'Cause when they met...it was murder!note "Hart to Hart was an American television series that ran from 1979 to 1984 on ABC. It starred Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers and was produced by Aaron Spelling.The show focused on Jonathan Hart (Robert Wagner), a rich CEO, and his wife Jennifer (Stefanie Powers), a freelance journalist. In their spare time, the two pair up as amateur detectives, with some help from their butler Max (Lionel Stander). Each episode focused on a crime that they were currently trying to solve. Most of the cases they worked on dealt with murder, robbery, kidnapping, and espionage.After five seasons on the air, the show was canceled due to low ratings in the last season. In 1993, the cast reunited to make eight made for TV movies.
—Max's Opening Narration
This show provides examples of:
- Amateur Sleuth: Jonathan and Jennifer
- Early Installment Weirdness: In the first season, Max's opening-credits narration ended with the phrase: "I take care of them, which ain't easy, because their hobby is ... murder!" As the show isn't actually about happily married serial killers, subsequent seasons modified this to "...because when they met, it was murder!"
- Happily Married
- Genre Blindness: A lot of episodes are about the Badass of the Week trying to outsmart the Harts but they seem to never have heard of all the other bad guys crossing the Harts' way whose successes were questionable.
- Idle Rich: They are when they aren't solving crimes.
- Made-for-TV Movie: Eight of them.
- MAD: Har To Har
- Mystery Magnet
- Mystery of the Week
- One-Hour Work Week: Though Jonathan is the CEO of a very large company, he seems to spend plenty of time solving crimes.
- Pretty in Mink: Jennifer often wore a fur when they went to a special event.
- Stalker with a Crush: A recurring plot point. Either Jonathan and Jennifer would attract one of these.
- Wheel Program: NBC attempted to use the 1993 reunion movies as an anchor for a new Friday Night Mystery Movie Series, but the idea didn't take off.
- You Look Familiar: Both Stefanie Powers and Lionel Stander co starred in seperate episodes of Wagner's earlier series It Takes a Thief (1968).