Series: Hallo Spencer
A German puppet show that aired from 1979 to 2001, and was heavily inspired by The Muppet Show. This show stars Spencer in the fictional town of Spencerdorf (the Real Life Spencerville, Ohio in the English-dubbed version). Spencer introduces the viewers and the theme of the episode, with the villagers later contributing something to the theme. Sometimes, there would be special episodes in which the characters would re-tell nursery rhymes or fairy tales.Translations into other languages were short lived and didn't always translate well, but regardless, Hallo Spencer is still beloved to this day in its home country. It even received its own section in a theme park.
This show contains examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Population
- An Aesop: Happens from time to time.
- Big Eater: Poldi.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Galaktika, the alien fairy, has only legs when she needs to, can change her size and often hasn't even a solid body. Let's not start about her eating and sleeping habits.
- Bookworm: Lexi. (Literally.)
- Continuity Nod: Several, but especially Spencers Flötenzauber, the only two-parter of the show where the characters put on The Magic Flute is mentioned in later episodes.
- Cut-and-Paste Translation: In the early '90s, Saban dubbed the episode into English as The Hallo Spencer Show, but made several more changes, including re-writing the dialogue, changing a few names, changing the theme song, and adding a rap portion at the end of each episode that summarized its events. Needless to say, this version was very short lived.
- Extreme Omnivore: Poldi. Again.
- Faceless Masses: The inhabitants of the nearby town all are this.
- Fantastic Aesop: "Gali und die Katastrophe" tells us: Don't summon an alien fairy if you do not really need her. You might cause her to starve.
- First Name Basis: We don't even know if any of the villagers has more than one name.
- Green Aesop: "Der englische Rasen"
- Grumpy Bear: Nepomuk.
- I'm a Humanitarian: What Poldi claims to be. He isn't.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Poldi starts as one. Then the gold starts spreading.
- Negative Continuity: Happens a few times. For example, Kasi can clearly read in early episodes but later being illiterate becomes one of his defining characteristics.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Poldi and Kasi. Leopold and Kasimir, respectively.
- Put on a Bus: The mischievous devil Nero was used often in early episodes. Than he didn't appear for a while until the episode where he is caught and forced to promise to go and never come back. He kept his promise.