is a 2007 documentary TV show that airs on The History Channel
, with reruns showing on Spike
. It explores the history of America's toughest gangs, starting with the Aryan Brotherhood.
Not to be confused with the computer game of the same name
Gangland provides examples of:
- All Bikers Are Hell's Angels: Averted, the one percenters are shown as just that; a minority.
- Bad Parents Want Good Kids: A reformed skinhead in the episode focussing on white supremacists decided to leave the movement after he saw his young son yelling racial epithets at the TV and suddenly realised what white power looks like from the outside
- Body Horror: One of the survivors of a shooting has a metal leg and his intestines are now in a bag MADE OF HIS SKIN...and it hangs outside of his body.
- Gang Bangers: Obviously. Of the street level gangs, Crips get most attention, with their sets spread in unlikely places such as Anchorage, Alaska, Salt Lake City and London.
- Gangsterland: It's a given considering the name of the show.
- Glamour Failure: A meta-example. Anyone who sees criminal life through Hollywood's eyes gets a quick wake-up call when they watch this show.
- Idiot Ball: Several current gang bangers appear on the show and brag about violent felonies of have videos waving enormous amounts of drugs. With their identities uncensored.
- The Klan: The Imperial Klans of America are featured in an episode
- Missing Episode: Some episodes are not included on DVD for reasons unknown.
- Tattooed Crook: The slideshow of gang-related images tend to showcase gang tattoos, and the show logo is shown tattooed on a man's back.
- The Triads and the Tongs
- White Gang Bangers: Dead Men Inc., Imperial Klans of America, Friends Stand United, the Aryan Brotherhood, skinheads, Neo Nazis
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: To what extent the white supremacist groups, or the Straight Edge gang Friends Stand United are actual organized crime groups is debatable.