A spoof of Soap Operas
of The Eighties
, this Mini Series
follows the story of the Kensington family, and their struggle to survive in the cutthroat world of the raisin business. But with all the scheming, backstabbing, twists and turns, it doesn't look good for them. But for the viewers, it's a hell of a good time.
Stars include Carol Burnett
, Dabney Coleman
, Charles Grodin
, and Bill Paxton
This show contains examples of:
- Acme Products: Acme Toxic Waste is disposed of in the water supply.
- Affectionate Parody: Particularly of shows like Dallas and Dynasty.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: "These grapes taste like Fresno!"
- Cat Fight: Parodied by having it be like a knock down bar brawl.
- Cool Car: Averted. The cash strapped Kensingtons have a chauffeured Brady Bunch era station wagon instead of a limo. However, such as it is, it seems to be in good working order, keeping it out of Alleged Car territory
- Costume Porn: The gowns were very fancy (and got Bob Mackie and Emmy nomination), and this was given a nod In-Universe when Charlotte wondered if the family troubles meant they had to sell their things, and Cane assured he wouldn't sell their clothes.
- Distant Prologue: Spanish explorers first come to this place, and name it after how nasty the grapes taste.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry
- I Have No Son: Subverted. At then end, Charlotte says this after she learns of Cane's betrayal, but then Cane reminds her of Kevin. So Charlotte amends that to she just has one son.
- Incest Is Relative: Subverted. Tiffany thinks she and Torch are related, due to Torch being Mr. Kensington's illegitimate son, and Tiffany being the daughter of Charlotte Kensington and Tyler Kane, but Torch points out that doesn't mean they actually share parents between them.
- Jail Bake: Parodied. A guard assumed this, and searched food brought to the prison for tools, while a lady behind him just handed a prisoner tools while the guard's back was turned.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Three times. Once with Torch, and twice when Tiffany finds out who her real mother and father are.
- Name of Cain: Cane Kensington, and Tyler Cane.
- Pretty in Mink: Couldn't properly spoof those shows without this. In one scene, Talon storms out on her husband, Cane, and looks through a closet of furs before settling on a lynx coat. She later wears the coat to try to seduce Torch.
- The Reveal: Some played straight and others played laughs.
- Title Drop: Parodied with the title being a word to describe how nasty the grapes taste.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Every other time Torch appears.