"No no no! Don't touch that dial. Here's what's on my mind tonight."Freddy's Nightmares
— Freddy Krueger, in the show's promos
is Horror Anthology Series
hosted by Freddy Krueger
Each episode features two separate stories, usually connected by the first part's supporting character who takes the role of a protagonist in the second part.
Freddy himself appears in some episodes terrorizing another Victim of the Week
. Other episodes revolve around teenagers and adults who go through quite unusual dream sequences
which lead them to death or insanity.
This series contains examples of:
- Axe Crazy: The Chopper in "Do Dreams Bleed?", who runs around Sprinfield at night, chopping his victims with an axe.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Freddy never loses in his episodes.
- Bad Humor Truck: First episode shows that Freddy used an ice cream truck to lure in children.
- Bigger Bad: Freddy. He was only directly involved in the plot of eight episodes, though a few implied he was pulling the strings behind the scenes.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Starr, Annie, and Emily, respectively featured in the second half of the episode "Deadline."
- The Cameo: Aside from his hosting segments and the few episodes starring him, Freddy would sometimes have a quick blink-and-miss-it appearances in the actual stories.
- Catch Phrase: The Chopper's catchphrase in "Do Dreams Bleed?" is "It's time to take your medicine!" (that medicine being an axe buried in your head).
- Chekhov's Gunman: Protagonist of the second half of an episode is sometimes a person who had no real importance in the first half.
- Colon Cancer: The full name of this series is Freddy's Nightmares: A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Series.
- Continuity Nod: The fast food restaurant Beefy Boy from the second episode appears in several subsequent ones.
- Daydream Surprise: When not resorting for everything being a dream, some segemts would turn out to be extended daydreams had by the main characters.
- Dead Artists Are Better: Protagonist of the first half of "Interior Loft - Later" is an artist who fakes his death to cash in on this.
- Deadly Game: One episode had its main character have a nightmare that she was in a game show, with the lives her parents as the prize. They end up as empty husks filled with ants.
- Demonic Possession: First half of "It's My Party and You'll Die If I Want You To" has Freddy possessing a Phony Psychic.
- Depraved Dentist: Freddy takes this role at the end of the first episode when he kills Lt. Blocker, complete with drills on his glove.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In "Freddy's Tricks and Treats," Freddy starts tormenting the main girl because she refused to believe in him.
- Drugs Are Bad: The subject of a particular episode which ended with an uncharacteristically grim Freddy saying "Drugs... now there's a real nightmare."
- Dying Dream: Some episodes' ending.
- Hope Spot: In the first segment of "The End of World", Freddy temporarily gives a girl the power of changing the present through her dreams. She uses it to prevent the death of her mother, but then learns that now her father is dead instead. Freddy then takes the power away right after this revelation.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: "Freddy's Tricks and Treats" (Halloween) and "Mother's Day".
- I Am A Humanitarian: In one episode a pizza parlor using "a special ingredient" appeared. Also - "Prime Cut" and "Dust to Dust".
- Riding the Bomb: Freddy is shown doing this in "The End of the World" after his plan for nuclear war fails.
- Serial Killer: Freddy himself; also the Chopper.
- The first episode title ("No More Mr. Nice Guy") is one to Alice Cooper.
- In "Freddy's Tricks and Treats," Mark tries to pull off a scary prank while wearing a hockey mask.
- Spiritual Successor: The Freddy Krueger's Tales of Terror book series had a lot in common with the show; each installment even had a cheesy opening and epilogue done by Freddy.
- Start of Darkness: The show's first episode, which retells Freddy's death at the hands of an angry mob.
- Strictly Formula: The series (the first season, at least) usually went like this. That awesome opening. A cheesy intro with Freddy. Character doing something fairly mundane. Weird, inexplicable shit happens. It turns out its all just a dream, hallucination or the character is dying. Cheesy epilogue with Freddy. Fin.