Series / Flavor of Love
There has to be something in The Bible
Flavor of Love
Television has had to choose between making gold or crap. They can pay top dollar to make shows like Mad Men and hope to cash in on DVD sales, or crank out dirt-cheap reality shows that can turn a profit even with tiny ratings.
Or, they can say "fuck it" and make a show about dating Flavor Flav.
(2006-2008) is a VH-1
"Celebreality" show. It centers around Public Enemy Hype Man
and Large Ham
Flavor Flav finding true love, after his breakup with Brigitte Nielsen. 20 girls were to compete for his heart until only one remained. It resulted in not three seasons, each with a new supply of girls. Hilarity ensued
The show is So Bad, It's Good
, and goes way
beyond Bile Fascination
and right back to Crazy Awesome
. Oh, and? The season 1 girls weren't told they'd be dating Flavor Flav, until they'd already been cast.
Each contestant is given a nickname by Flav (he's admittedly not good with names) and is referred to by that nickname for as long as she remains on VH-1. The contestants compete for intimate dates with Flav by partaking in various challenges, ranging from silly to ridiculous. At the end of each episode, the show features a clock ceremony where contestants receive gold clocks to wear around their necks. Flav brings the few remaining women's parents on in the third or second to last episode. Finally, the season finale takes place in a tropical destination: the finalists and Flav spend the last two days at a luxurious resort preceding his final decision.
The whole mess was a Star-Making Role
of the girls, and resulted in a number of spinoffs / clone shows, many of which feature a whole lot of contestants from previous shows. These shows include, but are in no way
Also, Flavor of Love
itself spun off from Strange Love
, a spinoff of The Surreal Life
, in turn based on The Real World
, which... you get the idea
This series provides examples of:
- Arch-Nemesis: New York and Pumkin.
- Krazy and Deelishis in the second season.
- Somethin and Spunkeey also in the second season. However, this was short-lived as both women were eliminated early.
- Author Appeal: Flav likes reindeer. Then he nicknames one of the girls in Season 3 Prancer.
- The Baroness: Red Oyster. Ohhh boy. Red dress, whip, long black hair, serious look on her face... she was trying very hard to be the trope archetype.
- Battle Butler: Big Rick, jumping in between New York and Pumkin at the season 1 reunion show.
- Becoming the Mask:
- All of the girls start referring to themselves by their show nicknames, and become more crazy and obsessed with Flav each episode.
- Averted in Flavor Of Love Girls: Charm School, where the very first thing Mo'Nique did was to get rid of the girls' nicknames and tell them to become themselves again.
- Played Straight in Charm School 3 as everyone, including Ricki Lake, referred to the Flavor of Love girls by their nicknames.
- Berserk Button: Flav doesn't like his name misspelled. In the 3rd season, he eliminated a girl because of it.
- Better as Friends: Flav and Brigitte, Flav and Goldie, Flav and Hoopz.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sweetie did not take her elimination well. At the reunion show, even Flav agrees that her elimination was a surprise. In her defense, the other choice was Hottie, who failed the challenge. (They had to cook chicken for his mother. While Sweetie had to overcome fear of chicken to complete the challenge, Hottie on the other hand placed the chicken in the microwave and set it on "chicken".)
- Cat Fight: Quite a few.
- Catch Phrase: "FLAVOR FLAAAV!!!"
- Clip Show: Usually ran before a season's finale.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Wire. Also, Flav.
- Did You Just Have Sex?: Pumkin to Goldie. Subverted: it later turns out Goldie didn't sleep with Flav, realizing she only saw him as a friend.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Saaphyri attacks H-Town after she hits her with a bouquet of flowers. Later justified: In Charm School, it was revealed that Saaphyri was traumatized by having her furniture and possessions taken away after her father died, becoming very possessive of the things she owns.
- The Ditz: Many. Red Oyster accidentally revealed herself to be one when she didn't know the word "electrifying". Hottie can also count, due to attempting to microwave a chicken.
- Double Standard: Flav wants his girl to be only his, but she's got to understand that occasionally he wants to touch other girls. On the lips.
- Dreadful Musician: Krazy. The show lampshades this by having a glass-breaking effect when she sings. She not exactly a bad singer, but she's shrill, has a tendency to hit the wrong notes, and is way over the top.
- Et Tu, Deelishis?: Krazy gets this reaction when Deelishis turns on her later in the show.
- Even Jerks Have Standards: Despite her manipulative ways, New York was genuinely appalled and worried about Krazy's life when Buckeey almost pushed her off of the balcony.
- Everything Is Racist: Pumkin can't catch a break. Though she does bring some of it on herself, making comments that come across the wrong way.
- Genre Savvy: Flav knows full well that some of the girls are only on the show for money or fame. So he has his intimidating viking woman ex hook them up to a lie detector.
- Gold Digger:
- Hottie. She's pretty blatant about it in confessionals.
- Hotlanta was accused of this, leading to a Crowning Moment of Funny when she yelled: "This isn't even his house!".
- Granola Girl: Wire.
- Guilty Pleasure: The show itself. It's entertaining as hell, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone to admit that.
- Half Truth: In Toasteee's defense, the videos she did in college are not technically porn. They're actually videos of her wearing nothing but a thong, strangling fully clothed men with her thighs. ... ...Or So I Heard.
- Hates Everyone Equally: New York.
- Hypocrite: Arguably other the females towards Krazy. While it's a competition, they criticized Krazy for being an opportunist and wanting a singing career. Cue being after the show they start acting/modeling/appearing on other shoews, etc.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Krazy has shades of this, especially with her complaining about Deelishis being a backstabber and Krazy trying to be friends with New York, despite the fact that New York doesn't like her.
- It's All About Me: From alot of people, including Flav himself.
- Jerkass: Bootz, Buckeey, and Deelishis from the second season. And of course, the self-proclaimed H.B.I.C.(Head Bitch in Charge in case you didn't know) New York.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While Bootz was a complete bitch about it in her argument with Krazy, she was correct when she pointed out on how clueless Krazy was when Krazy was trying to make friends with everyone instead of getting to know Flav. This show is a competition and making friends is the last thing you should do.
- Kavorka Man: The picture says it all.
- Large Ham: Flav of course.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: No matter how many spinoff shows they appear in, none of the girls will ever admit to having been attracted to Flav. Apart from New York. To their credit, most of them probably weren't.
- Man Child: Guess who.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Wire thinks she's this. Toasteee has shades of it as well, especially when she's drunk.
- Manipulative Bitch: New York, natch.
- The Mole: Red Oyster, who volunteered to spy for Flav. Also Eye'z, who wasn't really a competitor anyway.
- Non-Gameplay Elimination: Red Oyster excuses herself when she finds out her father's been injured. In the second season, Buckwild and Payshintz quit because they couldn't handle the drama with Bootz and New York respectively.
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That: New York assures us she has nothing against big girls, apart from hating them. Pumkin says she isn't prejudiced, she just can't understand black words.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Flav gives all of the girls nicknames because it's too much trouble to remember their real names. Their real names are usually revealed when the girls are eliminated.
- Only Sane Woman: New York's mom, occasionally.
"I don't wanna be seen in public with a man that's forty-freakin'-six years old, wearing a freakin' clock that's not even running."
- Goldie and Hoopz both stayed pretty sane as well, just having a lot of fun with Flav and not getting mixed up in house drama at all.
- Krazy fits this trope, despite being called out numerous times for being "fake."
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Buckwild. She normally talks in ebonics, but New York scares the black right out of her.
—Flav: Can I ask you a question? Where the fuck did your accent go?
- Overly Long Gag: By New York's mom, of all people:
"You didn't say marriage. I know you didn't say that. That's never gonna happen. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever, Tiffany. Ever. Ever. Ever, in a million years. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever."
- Parallel Porn Titles: Flavor of Lust.
- Pretty Fly For A White Girl: Buckwild. Pumkin eventually realizes she can't keep up with all of the "black words". She copes by... getting cornrows.
- Potty Emergency / Potty Failure: SOMETHIN IN SEASON TWO. It ends up being the reason she gets eliminated.
- Reality TV Show Mansion: Lampshaded by Hotlanta when she's eliminated.
- The Reveal: Red Oyster is married, and going through a divorce.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: New York goes on to have two seasons of her own dating show, two other reality shows based on her, and a small appearance on a film.
- Running Gag: Every time Hottie blinks, a "ching" sound follows. VH-1 kept this up for every reality show she appeared in.
- Sassy Black Woman: Many of them.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Flav does this in Season Two to bring back New York on the show, even though she wasn't a contestant at the time, and again in Season Three to bring back Thing 2, after she was eliminated. Earlier in Season Three, he allows four girls selected by Saaphyri and Buckwild to enter the competition in Episode Seven.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Payshintz and Buckwild quit due to not wanting to have to deal with Bootz and New York respectively.
- She's Back: New York in Season 2.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Buckwild and Saaphyri in Charm School. Buckwild loses most of the accent and starts acting like a lady, and Saaphyri learns to control her anger and to verbally express herself.
- Sibling Team: Thing 1 and 2. In the clock ceremonies, Flav even puts a gold clock on both of their necks. Eventually he broke them up as two equal competitors.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Most of the girls, but especially New York.
- Smug Snake: Toasteee reveals herself to be one in I Love Money.
- Spin-Off: I Love New York and Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School.
- Spiteful Spit: The Infamous scene where after a heated argument, Pumkin spits on New York. Pumkin should be lucky New York only got to push her into a camera.
- Stalker with a Crush: New York.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Flav to Hottie. Extremely justified use of the trope.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Contestants: The producers were apparently wise to this, which is why they revealed the prize only after the girls had been cast.
- Terrible Trio: Buckeey, Bootz, and Deelishis.
- Third-Person Person: Payshintz speaks this way occasionally in the second season by saying things like "Drama no good for Payshintz."
- Even New York and Flav speak this way occasionally.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Hoopz' Tomboy to Pumkin's Girly Girl.
- The Unreveal: Hoopz' real name. It's Nikki, by the way.
- Victorious Loser: Despite losing two seasons in a row, New York ends up with the last laugh when it comes to success. See The Runner-Up Takes It All.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Most of the girls who were eliminated in the first couple of episodes.
- Who Names Their Kid "Buckwild": Lampshaded in the 3rd episoe of the second season when a woman says "Your mom didn't name you that, didn't she?
- Why Did It Have To Be Horses: New York. She was afraid of riding a horse in one episode of Season 2.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The girls' names often play this one straight.
- You Look Familiar: Pumkin, who has been noted on being on different Reality TV shows. Flav caught Hottie on reality TV one morning, thought it was hilarious, called all the other girls up to his bedroom to come watch the show and promptly eliminated her for being a lying Gold Digger.