If there's one afternoon block of ESPN
journalists yelling at each other about sports that you can name, it's First Take
. Primarily anchored by Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith, and originally hosted by Jay Crawford, First Take
provides roundtable and often adversarial daily debate on current sports topics of interest to the United States audience. Skip and Stephen A, in particular, are famous
for being Real Life Vitriolic Best Buds
, and the show is largely built
on the heated debates between the two.First Take
is the Spiritual Successor
to Cold Pizza
, a morning talk show host more comparable to Good Morning America
. It included daily sports news, interviews with sports journalists, athletes, and personalities, and an assortment of other sports and non-sports topics. This show began airing on October 20, 2003. After four-ish years, it was replaced by First Take
, and here we are now.
Two back-to-back two-hour episodes air each weekday from Monday through Friday, with the live episode airing from 10 a.m. ET until noon, followed by a repeat. Longtime host Crawford left First Take to anchor SportsCenter
and he has been replaced by Cari Champion.
This show provides examples of the following:
- Ascended Fanboy: Chad Neidt sort of fit the bill. Where he made a cover song of a Stupid Statement Dance Mix on YouTube and ended up being a guest in the show.
- Catch Phrase: Stephen A has a lot, but namely "disrespectful" and "blasphemous" come up a lot.
- Skip has "Spurs in six." Originally, it started off as a bitter lament over how his favorite NBA team, the San Antonio Spurs, were literally 28 seconds away from winning a championship in Game 6 of the 2013 Finals. Now, he's using that phrase as a rallying cry for the 2014 Finals, also against Miami. Ended up being Spurs in five.
- Commander Contrarian: The best way to describe Skip Bayless.
- Fan Boy: Skip, of Tim Tebow and the San Antonio Spurs.
- Friendly Enemy: Skip is not a fan. He thinks being too chummy with your opponent leaves you open and vulnerable for a loss. He didn't like it with LeBron and Durant, and he doesn't like it with LeBron and Paul George. Stephen A isn't impressed about Skyp's mentality here.
- Graceful Loser: Stephen A Smith became a textbook example in the aftermath of Broncos' playoff victory over the Steelers on 2012.
- Insane Troll Logic: Critics of Skip often have this to say about him. Stephen A would agree.
- Large Ham: Skip and Stephen A.
- No Indoor Voice: Pretty much everybody.
- No True Scotsman: Invoked when Rob Parker infamously accused RG3 of being a "cornball brother", which resulted in his termination a month later.
- The Rival: When it was still Cold Pizza, Around The Horn contributor Woody Paige used to fill the bill for Skip Bayless.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Famously between Skip and Stephen A.